July 23, 2011

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

The Declaration (Declaration #1) by Gemma Malley
Published October 2nd 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books


"My name is Anna and I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't exist. But I do. Its not my fault I'm here. I didn't ask to be born. But that doesn't make it any better that I was. They caught me early though, which bodes well."

It's the year 2140 and Longevity drugs have all but eradicated old age. A never-aging society can't sustain population growth, however…which means Anna should never have been born. Nor should any of the children she lives with at Grange Hall. The facility is full of boys and girls whose parents chose to have kids—called surpluses—despite a law forbidding them from doing so. These children are raised as servants, and brought up to believe they must atone for their very existence. Then one day a boy named Peter appears at the Hall, bringing with him news of the world outside, a place where people are starting to say that Longevity is bad, and that maybe people shouldn't live forever. Peter begs Anna to escape with him, but Anna's not sure who to trust: the strange new boy whose version of life sounds like a dangerous fairy tale, or the familiar walls of Grange Hall and the head mistress who has controlled her every waking thought?

Chilling, poignant, and endlessly though-provoking, The Declaration is a powerful debut that will have readers agonizing over Anna's fate until the very last page.
I am very picky with dystopian novels but I really do loved this one. And while I was reading this book I had to keep myself from getting frustrated with Anna, I want to bang her head on the wall lol ( kidding). Poor thing really but Anna's character is really effective, she is flawed yes, and and there goes Peter, to save her poor ass, but she is just a stubborn child that she think she deserved being stuck in Grange Hall and be slave as long as shes breathing. But there's still more that Anna didn't know in the outside world, and Peter wont stop until he gets Anna to his side and believe him about something, the reason why he came in the Grange Hall.

This world Gemma Malley had made was awesome, people who can live like forever, but they have to keep themselves from populating that's where the surplus comes. There are scenes that I was fearing for Anna and Peter's life, it was intense. I loved this book I really do. And I think this is also good for young children and adults as well. A very original and well written story that will put you on the edge of your seat. But this should have the right audience, and I know this book is a bit old but I still want them and I cant wait to read the next book its already out anyway 2nd and 3rd book yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.