July 5, 2011

The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) by Kelley Armstrong
Published April 12th 2011 by Harper (HarperCollins), New York
"Something had happened in that lake, something I couldn't explain."
Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.
Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet. 
I thought this book was good, but to be honest, I think The Darkest Powers series is way better.  I was getting bored out of my skull while reading the first half, till I get to the other half part of it that's when it gets really interesting,and BOOM the ending was  a big cliffhanger. That made me really really want to read the second book though. 

I loved the idea of Chloe Derek and Simon (Darkest Powers series) joining Megan, Daniel and Rafe is really exciting and I could only imagine the adventure that's going to happen with these supernaturals. It's really going to be off the hook. 
The plot was really good, though it was kind of slow for me. The supernatural characters weren't  really fully developed Yet, I mean, their powers and what they can do(surely it will be on the 2nd book). I was a bit frustrated with the suspense and mysteries,in a good way but. The action/adventure was not as edgy and as good as The Darkest Powers scenes, I guess I just cant get over with Chloe and Derek's team. But I believe its only the beginning, Hopefully the second book will be packed of asskicking actions and lots of romantic scenes. 

Overall, it was a good and I sure am will be waiting for "The Calling" next year. Kelley Armstrong has been my favorite since The Darkest Powers(I'm a die hard fan) so I wont be missing any books that is connected to that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.