August 18, 2011

Burn Bright (Night Creatures #1) by Marriane de Pierres

Burn Bright by Marriane de Pierres
Published March 1st 2011 by Random House Australia

“Imagine a place where there are no Elders. No rules. No punishment. Only music and laughter and freedom. That’s Ixion. We have few rules but they are absolute. “”

Into a world of wild secrets and deadly pleasures comes a girl whose innocence may be her greatest strength.

In Ixion music and party are our only beliefs. Darkness is our comfort. We have few rules but they are absolute . . .

Retra doesn’t want to go to Ixion, the island of ever-night, ever-youth and never-sleep. Retra is a Seal – sealed minds, sealed community. She doesn’t crave parties and pleasure, experience and freedom.

But her brother Joel left for Ixion two years ago, and Retra is determined to find him. Braving the intense pain of her obedience strip to escape the only home she’s ever known, Retra stows away on the barge that will take her to her brother.

When she can’t find Joel, Retra finds herself drawn deeper into the intoxicating world of Ixion. Come to me, whispers a voice in her head. Who are the Ripers, the mysterious guardians of Ixion? What are the Night Creatures Retra can see in the shadows? And what happens to those who grow too old for Ixion?

Retra will find that Ixion has its pleasures, but its secrets are deadly. Will friendship, and the creation of an eternal bond with a Riper, be enough to save her from the darkness?

Listen well, baby bats. Burn bright, but do not stray from the paths. Remember, when you live in a place of darkness you also live with creatures of the dark
  • Visit her at her Site.

I'm really excited to write this review.  But its really hard for me to describe how I really feel about this book without giving too much away.  I guess youll just have to read it instead. But of course I would really love to share this with you, my lovely readers why this book is alluring in so many ways but I can only tell you so much.

Retra, a Seal from the North Grave, Innocent young girl who lives pretty much by the rules of the Councils all her life,  who's brother ran away to go to Ixion, “island of ever-night, ever-youth and never sleep”. Party all you want, and do what you please. Under obedience strip, she decided to follow Joel one night to Ixion. But there’s a lot of things she doesn’t know about this dark place.  Retra went on her way, with no idea what to expect but her goal was to find her brother and live somewhere they could be happy together... Her journey begins from there and her life will never be the same again.   

I’ve read fair number of dystopian books and this one topped all of it. Marriane is a freaking Genius. I thought Retra was the perfect character I would really like for a hero.  Also The Ripers were really creepy, the night creatures  were scary, and the party was sooo good I felt like joining in there lol( I do love parties) The plot was very unique , contagious and very moving I could almost taste it lol. I don’t know what pulled me more in reading this book if it was the plot, narration or the characters, I guess its because everything was endearing that I was sucked in into this world Marriane have created, obsessed with what’s gonna happen next. It was unpredictable. Cant wait for ANGEL ARIAS Book Two.

A gothic/fantasy dystopian book full of dark secrets and mysteries,  captivating beyond expectation. Overall, LOVED LOVED LOVED it! A huge big fat flashing 5 stars! See you again on my next post! Burn bright baby bats! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.