August 14, 2011

Soulstice (The Devouring #2) by Simon Holt


Soulstice (The Devouring #2) by Simon Holt
Published September 1st 2009 by Little Brown and Company

Beware the darkness and the light. The will steal your soul in day or night. In summer;s warmth or winter's cold. Your life will end when the Vours take hold. In the feascape no one can hear you cry. And in its depth your soul will die.
The terrifying, nail-biting, and grossly intriguing sequel toThe Devouring.
It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality.

The battle against evil continues in Soulstice, the second book in the thrilling The Devouring series, which School Library Journal called, "Comparable to books by R. L. Stine and Stephen King....A must-have for horror fans."

If I am going to describe this book in two sentences only.  It would be…  Horrifying. Mind-blowing. Simon Holt is always going to be my favorite author in YA horror. I swear, it scared the crap out of me.

You have to read the first book first to fully understand this second book of Sorry Night ( The Devouring). So After saving her brother, Henry from the Vours, Reggie’s life is now in danger. Someone’s plotting against her and is trying to get what power she had from devouring the Vours. From here, Reggie has to know whom she can trust, because Vours are everywhere and they are plotting something that will destroy and steal souls from humans. 

The plot was freaking awesome. Loved the twist and turns. It’s gruesomeness and monstrosity was everything a horror fan would love. Though I kept on shifting from my seat it was unbearable to be in the ‘fearscape’. It’s a place where the real person inside you is lurking hidden somewhere while the Vour is taking control of your own body. I don’t know what will I do if it was me but Reggie is a perfect character for me. And I'm a bit torn between Anton and Quinn for her. 
The ending was of course a big cliffhanger that It just made me want to get starting with the 3rd book. Fearscape. And this cover is sooooo gorgeous, Im sure that is Quinn with his green eyes.

Friendship, adventures and evil, this book will make you gasp and scream inside. BOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.