September 21, 2011

The Marked Son by Shea Berkley


Release Date: July 27th 2011
Format: Review Copy
Source: Publisher
Buy this book: BookDepository | Amazon


Seventeen-year-old Dylan Kennedy always knew something was different about him, but until his mother abandoned him in the middle of Oregon with grandparents he's never met, he had no idea what.
When Dylan sees a girl in white in the woods behind his grandparents' farm, he knows he's seen her before...in his dreams. He's felt her fear. Heard her insistence that only he can save her world from an evil lord who uses magic and fear to feed his greed for power.
Unable to shake the unearthly pull to Kera, Dylan takes her hand. Either he's completely insane or he's about to have the adventure of his life, because where they're going is full of creatures he's only read about in horror stories. Worse, the human blood in his veins has Dylan marked for death...
I thought  this book was refreshing, imaginative and unique in its own kind of way. And I LOVED IT!

It’s about this tall and handsome boy named Dylan- seventeen year old , who doesn’t know his true identity, never knew his father, never had a permanent  place to live and has a wrecked mother who dumped  him to his grandparents he never knew he ever had.  Dylan’s grandparents live in a countryside which he hated the most. As much as Dylan wanted to leave because he knew his grandparents would soon give him up too, they did take him as their own and care for him when her mother never did.  

But there is a lot more that he didn’t know, the reason why his over-dramatic mother abandoned him, the reason why the woods goes alive when his around and the feeling like he was being watched. But it didn’t take long before the weirdest and strangest things came chasing him, sheep died mysteriously, tiny glowing thing called pux are showing up, and then right in the woods he saw a familiar girl...  From there Dylan will find out something surreal  and he will be one of the causes of the havoc in Teag and the world he thought he was one of. What would it take for him to save the only girl he ever loved? Would Dylan be able to save those who cares for him? or he would let them down too, like he always thought he does with his mom?

If only I could tell you the whole story I would, it was fabulous. First of all, I loved Dylan, and Kera  a beautiful girl from the other dimension or let say another magical world and lets not forget Bodog. Characters were really effective, I disliked or  more like hated Dylan’s mom, idolized Kera’s braveness, amused by his newly-found friends, loathed Navar’s pretentious intention, and adored Dylan most of all. He was my favorite,  life he grew up sort of resembles reality that some people may have had. I did really feel for him. Creatures and magic this was just amazing.

This book is in a third person (Kera) and first –person (Dylan) mode , which I really did enjoy. Like I always say on my reviews, it is nice connecting and relating to the character's thoughts and emotions, and knowing Dylan’s was something else. He has this kind of attitude that I like, what was it?ahh  I cannot quite put a finger on it.. just look at that cover eeeh. ha ha

Seriously I want more of this series. I cannot wait to read the second installment, something in the ending that gave me a teensyweensy glimpse of what next book could be. But yea! Kera and Dylan are just so good together!  Shea did a wonderful job writing this book.

A dark, romantic, magical and thrilling story that I was hooked on every pages! 

3 comments:

  1. great review! I am so disappointed that I didn't request it from netgalley when I had the chance. This seems like an awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this book! A friend of mine lend me her copy and it was amazing. Dylan is cute, alright. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! so this is a male lead. I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.