September 3, 2011

Winter's Shadow by M.J. Hearle

 Winter's Shadow by MJ Hearle
Format:  Paperback, 432 pages
Release Date: June 1st 2011
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia

Blake Duchamp...

He's all that Winter Adams can think of. Ever since their fateful meeting at Pilgrim's Lament. Ever since he looked at her with those emerald eyes. Ever since he saved her life.

But Blake isn't all that he seems. There is a strangeness about him, something dark and otherworldly. Something dangerous. In his attic is a secret he would kill to defend, but Winter seems to have a special ability to make him forget his duty. And he is her only protection against the gathering darkness.

The only problem is, to protect Winter, Blake must risk exposing her to an even greater danger. Himself.
 Visit MJ Hearle's website

Wow, a unique, dark love story, that made me want to keep on reading this novel,  or at least that what I felt about this book. I should say I was totally impressed with the authors imagination. WINTER'S SHADOW was beyond what I expected, since reading through some reviews about this book, I had second thoughts  but I still did it anyway. And it turned out to be really really good, I actually LOVED it. Some said it was predictable, for me, yes but only the ending part. It’s not like its already out in the open from the start and will ruin your reading, it isn’t like that. Or maybe I must have missed some lines but I don’t think it was that predictable that could spoil everything. 

The story was amazingly smooth, the narration and the words were very tasteful. It was told in three different point of view. From Winter’s, Blake’s and then Madeleine’s. Ill do what I can not to give away too much about this book, So our heroine Winter, a high school girl who practically lived all her life by being invisible, unlike her bestfriend Jasmine who was very outspoken and can date almost anyone she likes.  One day, Winter has to go up check out the old church at the top of Owl Mountain to take photos of the ruins. But strange things happened in that eerie place and she saw someone, an achingly beautiful young man standing over the grave. Hypnotized by the scene Winter tried to secretly snatch some shot of him and then danger happened. That changed Winter’s life forever. 

Blake , I think he's such a perfect character in this book. As well as Winter. And let’s not forget the cute cat Nefertem, that played so much in this story. I also found myself fearing for Winter and Blake’s life and their misfortune romance. Loved the actions, when Winter was kidnapped, chased by the soul thieves and faced a demented Demori in the end.  I thought it was intense. Secrets revealed through out the story. Overall, it was thrilling, dark and creepy young adult paranormal fantasy packed in one captivating book. The author did an amazing job writing WINTER’S SHADOW, not to mention that this was his first novel.  And to know that this is a series was really exciting. Though I wasn’t happy with what the ending was(because it was sad) It was bit of a cliffhanger(damn!), and I'm anxious to know whats gonna happen next! The dark mysteries and doomed love,  feeds the spirit of this enthralling novel. I want more! Oh and the cover, simple yet striking.

By the way, you can download the first 80 pages of WINTER'S SHADOW here or at the authors website.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good read. :) Think I'll download the first 80 pages, and if I like it, I'll get it for my Kindle. :)

    Thanks for the review!

    Shaunna
    Scarlet Letters
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, so jealous you got to read this. It's not yet released in the UK so were way behind. Glad you liked it. Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds great, and the cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.