October 15, 2011

Damage by Anya Parrish

Damage by Anya Parrish
Release Date:  September 8th 2011
Publisher: Flux
Format: Paperback, 264 pages
Source: Owned
Buy this book: BookDepository | Amazon


There was a time when I prayed for Rachel to be real. Until the night I learned she'd always planned to kill me.
When Dani was eight, she fell from a building. No one believed her claim that she was pushed by Rachel . . . her imaginary friend. It took years of therapy to convince Dani that Rachel wasn't real.
Now fifteen, Dani wants to make it as a dancer. But a deadly freak accident sends Dani a terrifying message: Rachel is back, she's real, and she'll stop at nothing to kill Dani.
Complicating matters is Jesse, the school bad boy who's being stalked by his own invisible childhood nemesis. Dani and Jesse join forces to learn why their astral tormentors are back. Their investigation leads to a horrifying discovery—and the terrible experiment that binds them to each other.

Omg! I knew this was gonna be a thrilling book even before I read it. Okay fine, the cover had given me  a little bit of encouraging, but the synopsis was so good so I had to anyway.

 I LOVED IT! LOVED IT LOVED IT! And if I ever find a book I should gush about, gush I must!

What would you do if you can see something that no one can? That something can hurt you or worse, kill you..

The plot deals with these two teenagers- Dani and Jesse had practically lived in the hospital at their young age, both have an imaginary friends.. oops! Let me do a rewind with that, “evil” imaginary friends. And from there, their lives will never be the same again. 

But in my reading days, I've never been soooo thrilled and relieved for a villain, or should I say “imaginary evil being” to walk into a scene ever until I have read this awesome book.  I know I'm not making any sense well atleast not yet, not until you read this. The story did win my heart! Not because it’s overly dramatic heart melting story, nope! Because its eerily disturbing and moving that it did put me on the edge of my seat.  No wonder this book had been banned. It’s INSANE!

Here are the first few lines:
There was a time when I prayed that Rachel to be real.
During those long nights alone at the hospital, when Mom and Dad left to fight in the privacy of our own home, when all I could feel was pain and sleep lingered just out of reach-the string on a balloon bouncing against the ceiling-I wished and wished and prayed for Rachel to be a real girl.
I would hold very still, focusing with everything in me until I could make out her dress and the back of her shining brown hair, until I could see those mischievous eyes peeking at me over her shoulder. I knew she was smiling, though I never saw her face.
Her eyes told me she was smiling. They made promises I knew she would keep. They promised fun and laughter and escape from a world of sharp needles and food that tasted of rubbing alcohol and burnt marshmallows. For a year everything had tasted charred, ruined. Dad said it was a side effect of the medicine they were using to make me better . He said ice cream would taste good again once I was well.
Once I was well, they would lower my dosage and I would see how wonderful everything tasted, how wonderful everything smelled, how wonderful it would be eat and run and play and be the healthy child I had never been.
Once I was well, I would see.
But I wasn’t well.

It’s a first-person narratives, Dani’s and Jesse’s point of view engulfed me into a their world to such a degree that fell so real.  Loved the diction, it was very effective.  The romance between them moved me. The dangers faced were intense, betrayal was everywhere and truth becomes too much to bear.I really do want to tell you more but it seems my review would spoil it bigtime if I do more ramblings.

The ending left me wanting for more, I want more chaos!  Ughhh. seriously I really wish this was a series.

If you are a fan of Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong, this one's for you! Happy reading guys.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow this sounds incredibly creepy! I've never really checked what it was about. I saw the book before but the cover didn't really attract me to it. It sounds awesome though I love stories like this! Great review.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Giselle. I hope you enjoy it when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good! I hadn't heard of it before now, but I think I need to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh your very welcome CD Meeteens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your review. ive just purchased from kindle store as ibooks dont have it in australia. cant wait to read it.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow good on you Paul I hope you enjoy this. and you are very welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one too! It was so original and so unpredictable!! I was on the edge of my bed the whole time! I just hope more people read it because I want a second book!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,

    I know, i do really wish lots of people wll read this amazing book! its really really good! glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.