October 1, 2011

Dark Souls by Paula Morris

Dark Souls by Paula Morris
Release Date: August 1st 2011
Publisher: Poin/Scholastic
Format: Advance Reading Copy, 289 pages
Source: Author
Buy this book: BookDepository | Amazon





Welcome to York, England.
Mist lingers in the streets.
Narrow buildings cast long shadows.
This is the most haunted city in the world. . . .

Miranda Tennant arrives in York with a terrible, tragic secret. She is eager to lose herself amid the quaint cobblestones, hoping she won't run into the countless ghosts who supposedly roam the city. . . .

Then she meets Nick, an intense, dark-eyed boy who knows all of York's hidden places and histories. Miranda wonders if Nick is falling for her, but she is distracted by another boy -- one even more handsome and mysterious than Nick. He lives in the house across from Miranda and seems desperate to send her some sort of message. Could this boy be one of York's haunted souls?

Soon, Miranda realizes that something dangerous -- and deadly -- is being planned. And she may have to face the darkest part of herself in order to unravel the mystery -- and find redemption
 

Excerpt:

The ghost was there.Miranda froze, still clutching one of the curtains. He looked even more breathtaking this time, his face like chiseled marble. Tonight he wasn't smiling at all, but his eyes were warm, velvety dark. He opened his mouth. Was he trying to say something? Then the flame of the candle leapt, just for an instant, and died. He was gone.
 Miranda peeled her hand off the glass and staggered back to bed, her heart racing. What was he going to say to her? What did he want her to know?

READ MY INTERVIEW WITH PAULA MORRIS 

*Thank you Paula Morris for sending me this awesome book!


This is what I'm talking about. I love ghost stories but only few had my heart and this is one of those!

Miranda, an American young girl who started seeing ghosts after the car accident that killed her bestfriend Jenna and made her brother claustrophobic. After 6 months, her family went on a holiday trip to York, England and she thought ghosts won’t follow her here but she was wrong.  Then she met this pale, strange, Gothic looking guy while wandering the streets of York, his name is Nick, mysterious as he may be, Miranda was starting to like him, but there is more than meets the eye. And Miranda will soon figure out what was his darkest secret…

Creepy and gripping, this book is off the hook.  A combination of history, mystery and ghost stories, that I enjoyed every pages of it.  I am so in love with the setting! York Is definitely a place that cannot be missed, its history and culture are very alluring.

I am also an avid fan of Paula Morris since her first YA novel RUINED set in New Orleans, but  her DARK SOULS was way more captivating, darker and more historical that I found myself dreaming of this place and maybe, just maybe, would visit York one day. Though I do not wish to see those ghosts that was mentioned in this book haha. 

The characterization was awesome and I do not think the story was that predictable. It did really made me wonder who was Nick, was he a ghost too? Who was this ghost in the attic? But it all made sense in the ending. The twist and turns was intriguing, and oh my the revelation was disturbing and spooky . I think I should stop myself from talking too much otherwise I’ll spoil your reading. If you are up for a dark, historical and spine-chilling experience, Dark Souls could be the one for you.

3 comments:

  1. I saw the cover a couple of time but didn't really look for it. Maybe I was wrong it sounds like a nice book. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I recently read Ruined and it was awesome, I guess this one would be great too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I got this on my reading pile this month. Definitely read it soon. Thanks for the great review, sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.