November 19, 2011

Dark Parties by Sara Grant

 

Dark Parties by Sara Grant
Published: August 3rd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers


Sixteen-year-old Neva has been trapped since birth. She was born and raised under the Protectosphere, in an isolated nation ruled by fear, lies, and xenophobia. A shield "protects" them from the outside world, but also locks the citizens inside. But there's nothing left on the outside, ever since the world collapsed from violent warfare. Or so the government says...
Neva and her best friend Sanna believe the government is lying and stage a "dark party" to recruit members for their underground rebellion. But as Neva begins to uncover the truth, she realizes she must question everything she's ever known, including the people she loves the most
Buy this book: Amazon | Book Depository
I didnt really hate this book, didnt really love it either. The story started confusing, Dark Party was supposed to be an act of rebellion-made up by Neva's best friend- to the government though I don’t know why it really matters that they party with lights off.  The plot was somehow predictable, I mean, what else can happen to missing girls, when government is slowly ceasing contraceptives products, begging people to have babies, descending population? But the suspense all throughout the story had kept me hooked into reading this book.

Our heroin Neva isn't what I can call a strong lead character. I just couldn’t connect with her in most of the time but there were few that were heartbreaking. I know how it feels when someone you used to love isn’t the same person anymore, and then someone you really like came along but you just can’t be together, wrong person at the wrong time thing.  Or the feeling of wanting to break free, know or explore the things you never thought existed, possible.

The world that the author has created was terrifying. No history, no freedom. I cannot imagine living in what like a dome layered with a Protectosphere, like a barrier only electrified. Government had feed these people's mind that they were being protected from the outside.  Or worse, end up in a center, and wake up with a large belly like you’ve swallowed a whole watermelon. 

The ending was both pleasant and painful. And I admit that the ending triggered my curiosity that I want a sequel for this book, but I don’t think there’s a continuation for this one, at least not yet.  

This book reminded me of EVE by Anne Carey and Wither by Lauren De Stefano.

6 comments:

  1. Hey really cool blog,
    always love coming across a book blog,
    following.
    Come and pay us a visit sometime

    aestheticjungle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the suspense in the story kept you reading. The world in the book does sound like a creepy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAHAHA I saw this on my Google reader and I thought it was titled Dark Panties!!
    Shame that it fell flat, though. I hadn't heard of this one before.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bookworm yes it is suspenseful. :)
    @Giselle hahahhaha you crack me up. I know hey, Dark Panties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, sounds like you weren't too impressed by it. That sucks! It sounds quite good. At least you got more intrigued in the end! Perhaps a little too late though. I hope next read will be a better one! :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.