November 22, 2011

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton
Published: June 9th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books





 Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very…different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.

Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.
 Buy this: Amazon 
I've had this book since it came out and shame on me that I had ignored this on my shelf for such a long time. Greek Mythology? Ancient curse? Bad ass heroine? New Orleans?  Mardi Gras? I mean what else can you ask for?

This book was surprisingly awesome. I just couldn't put it down, and Aris-our girl- was a bad ass. I mean she can kick-your-ass-and-borrow-face-from-a-dog-bad-ass kind of way. With a twist of mythology and paranormal, this book was just so good.

The story was about a foster kid Aristanae, Aris in short-who happens to be cursed, not only her, but her ancestors as well. But she didn't know that until she decided to look for her real mother, found out that her "insane" mother killed herself, a mother that she has a faint memory of, and realized she was in deep sh*t. Finding her mom was finding herself too, a shocking revelation of who she is, what she truly is. But will she ever succeed in doing that? Or will she end up just like her mother?

Thrilling plot. Characters were great. Aristanae, like Ive mentioned above was a bad ass and a likeable personality,Violet, shes so cute, I like her for being eccentric in a cuteway, and the rest were just awesome and Sebastian or Bas who is so sweet, plays drums too, how hot is that?

The descriptive elements that the author had used felt so real, I connected very much with Aris, how she felt, her lost and grief beyond imaginable. I loved how she learned and have dealt with herself. She portrayed a courageous, bold, aspiring and kind young girl that is really good for a lead character. I've had some good laughs too. The ending was sort of cliffhanger! I can go on and on and on about this book but this time all I really need is the 2nd book, and I mean need it badly!

6 comments:

  1. What? How have I NEVER heard of this before? Greek mythology!! Awesomesauce. Must read this! :D

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much! I can't wait for the next one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Giselle, Loved the twist of mythology here!

    @Jennie, I feel the same way about this book too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay why have I never heard of this book?!?!? It TOTALLY sounds like my kind of read! I'm so glad you loved it :) I love mythology and those darn cliff hangers! Great review!

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jaskirat Hey i hope you enjoy this book too! x thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard good things about this book and reading your review it seems that you really liked it. I need to get around my reading pile to read this one.

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.