November 2, 2011

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel
Release Date:  October 11th 2011
Series: Gone with the Respiration #1
Publisher: Doubleday Children's Books
Format: Paperback, 451 pages
Source: Owned
Buy this book: BookDepository | Amazon
 






Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid's arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead--or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?

The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria--a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era. A teenager in high society, Nora Dearly is far more interested in military history and her country's political unrest than in tea parties and debutante balls. But after her beloved parents die, Nora is left at the mercy of her domineering aunt, a social-climbing spendthrift who has squandered the family fortune, and now plans to marry her niece off for money. For Nora, no fate could be more horrible--until she's nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses.

But fate is just getting started with Nora. Catapulted from her world of drawing-room civility, she's suddenly gunning down.

Wow,  its just WOW. This is the first time I’ve ever read a book about a zombie, well movies yes, but book? Nope, not until now. I thought it would be boring but I was so damn wrong.  My hearts still swells with so much emotion while I write this review. This book was off the hook, totally fascinating!

 It was narrated in 5 different perspectives, Nora, Pamela, Bram, Victor and Wolfe. The leading characters as far as I can say would be Nora and Bram, of course I so adore Nora, I mean she’s supposed to be a conservative New Victorian young lady who should know nothing about guns and blasting off zombies .  No she’s a little bad ass on the side, and Bram oh Bram, I never thought Id love a zombie for a leading character. Bram cracked me up, I actually gets too much excited when its his POV.  I really do love his funny side and his heart melting affection for Nora..

Anyway, I should say that the author - Lia Habel - was a genius- like Veronica Roth of Divergent- this book was a smoothly, well-researched and  well-written story of futurism.  It also shows us how people-alive or undead, New Victorians or Punks, rich or poor - can be united regardless of their statuses, principles, religions, beliefs. How sometimes innovation can lead us to forgetting how to appreciate simple things:  as simple as looking at the stars at night.

I love love love this book. It also had set me on the edge of my seat as characters struggles and fight to survive. And I am so glad that it’s a series.  I cannot wait for the second book to come out, desperately need it! I want more of this series, zombies are totally in! Omg I cannot imagine how much books I want to read next year and its going to be exciting.  

If you like zombies, and New Victorian ladies and gentlemen, wars and men in uniforms-only undead go ahead and read it. I cried, got scared and laughed in this book and thats what made it really really A M A Z I N G.

 She nodded and reached out to take my hand again. I turned to look at her fully, I didnt want to say it, but I felt I should. I'd never had a chance to say it to my sisters. to my mother and Id always regretted it. "Just in case", I said, Leaning down.For once the Laz remained respectful. It didnt want her. I wanted her.Knitting my fingers into her curls, I kissed her forehead. I limited myself to one word this time. "Goodbye".

For my mother, who taught me early on that real ladies can give orders,
real  gentlemen can  take them, and real zombies don’t eat brains.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read a zombie book at all yet, but I'm going to! Especially since I have this one waiting. ;) I really cannot wait to give it a go. I've heard a bit of mixed things, but am still super curious. Great, great review! I hope I'll enjoy it just as much as you did! :)

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to read this book! It looks really really good. I'm glad you loved it.

    http://ireadtoescape.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I see about this book, the more I want to read it. I think it's going to not-so-subtlely move to the top of my TBR pile... Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really good hope you enjoy this book like i did, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. Though it wasn't my cup of tea, I did like Bram.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @bookworm, ahh Bram yes hes a charmer. So sorry that it isnt your type of book though. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.