November 14, 2011

Frost by Marianna Baer

Release Date:  September 13th 2011
Publisher:  Balzer & Bray
Format:  Hardcover, 400 pages




Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night?
If I were to rate this psychological thriller book, I would give FROST probably between 2 to 3 stars, which meant its ranging between "I liked it" or "it was only OK"(but didn't really hate it). Not love love it, but enough to finish the book. The story has a creepy factor going on, and dark mystery that kept me reading it. I don't normally whine about stuff with books I review but I just cant help and rave about some things.

This story was a first person's, and its Leena- while I liked the writing of the author and descriptive elements she used- Leena was a terrible/unlikeable person for a leading character in a book,or at least that's how I feel. I thought she has a big mouth, insecure, self-centered etc. That's all I could do not to scream because of frustration and annoyance towards her. I literally wanted to give her some good ol' bitch-slap. She infuriates me, though I know that she was mainly or probably under some kind of demonic influence or something. I did like her at first but it gotten to the point where I was totally pissed off with her.

And then, David, there's actually no charm and likeable about this guy, but his love to his family and some sense of humor, that's all.

I wasn't really that satisfied how the whole story ended just like that, like there's something missing, I wish that there was more revelations of the dark mystery of the house, more of why that ghost is haunting there. But I would still say that this book was  interesting and spooky.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I was bummed that I missed getting this book at BEA, but it looks like I am not missing much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hate unlikeable characters. That usually doesn't sit well with me as I'm a big character reader. I had this on my TBR list too.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what they say..character development is the single most important thing in writing a good book. So, it seems as if this one got by the editorial staff. Good for you for giving an honest review that will help your readers! Loud applause!! :]
    Deborah/TheBookishDame
    http://abookishlibraria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.