December 24, 2011

5 YA Authors Talks about....

Welcome my lovely readers, today I am featuring 5 YA Authors to talk about how they get themselves focused/in the mood when writing a book. They have been nothing but nice to participate in this post so thank you!  I loved their books and some of you may even be familiar with their work too. But before you continue, please let me greet you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Happy New Year! Also, happy reading! <3X






"If I waited to write when I felt like it, I might be waiting a long time. :) I mean, of course, sometimes I'm excited to get to it, but a lot of times it's really hard and it takes everything I can muster just to open that document. Once I do, I'll often listen to music to help me get going. There are songs that really touch me on an emotional level and I try to tap into those emotions so I can do the same with my writing. When I'm writing a first draft, I usually have a goal to write 1,000 words a day. For me, it's about sitting in that chair until those words are done. Sometimes it happens in an hour, sometimes it takes all day, as I use twitter to procrastinate. But I find that word count goal really helps me." - Lisa

TwitterFacebook | Website
________________________________________________________________________________
Kelly Keaton - Author of Darkness Becomes Her, Gods & Monsters series

#2 Feb 2012
"I like to let the idea stew in my head for a while before I sit down to write. (Sometimes this 'stewing' period is months or weeks or days, depending.) This is a good way to get me focused because the more I let the idea cook, the more scenes, bits of dialogue, and characterization come to me. I let it all build up until I *have* to write. Then, when I sit down, I'm already so immersed that my focus is all on the work. Other things that I find helpful to get me in the mood are movies, music, and art." - Kelly



 Watch the Book Trailer of Darkness Becomes Her
Find Kelley here: Twitter | Facebook | Website

_________________________________________________________________________________
Liah Habel - Author of Dearly, Departed, Gone With The Respiration series


October 18th 2011
"I walk a lot, and listen to a ton of music. Walking clears my head - I always seem to recognize plot holes only when I'm on foot, four miles away from my computer, without a scrap of paper to my name! And I like to build vast playlists for all of my characters and find songs that go perfectly with certain scenes. I rarely listen to them when I write (although I do sometimes, I tend to prefer absolute silence for writing), but they help to focus my emotions and guide my writing in the right atmospheric direction. Other than that, I don't outline, but I do jot down notes for each chapter, mini-goals that I have to meet, and by sticking to that list I find that I can at very least get the bare bones of my story idea out. I tend to write fast and loose and revise a lot afterward."
- Lia

Find Lia Here: Twitter | Facebook | Website
________________________________________________________________________________
 Jus Accardo - Author of Touch, Deanzen series 

"Some projects are easier than others. There's no prep needed. I get up in the morning and zoom right to work simply because I can't wait to get back to it. TOUCH was like that. My husband had to literally PRY me away from my computer at night. It had all my attention, all my focus, and i wasn't interested in life outside that world until it was finished.
For something that I'm not obsessed with (which to be honest, happens rarely) it takes some prep work. There has to be coffee. That's a given. I don't write--or function, really--without coffee. I can't write in compleate silence, either. Each book has it's own playlist and when I find myself unfocused or my mind drifting out into the middle of nowhere, I click over and poof. Insta-focus! :)" -
Jus

 Find Jus here: Twitter | Facebook | Website
________________________________________________________________________________
Gemma Halliday - Author of Deadly Cool, Deadly Cool series

"Great question!  I think the biggest thing for me is that I have to be alone.  I totally cannot write with my kids, boyfriend, or friends in the room.  Sometimes I do write at Starbucks, but the hum of strangers doesn’t seem to bother me like the hum of people I know.  Then, I just write.  Some days I’m more in the zone than others, and on those so-not-in-the-zone days I try to focus on other aspects of being a writer – like answering reader mail, tracking sales, doing promo stuff, etc.  Things to stay productive until the creative mood hits me again.  If I’m really, stuck, I go take a walk or indulge in my favorite creative therapy – shopping!" - Gemma

 Find Gemma here: Goodreads | Facebook | Website

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I really enjoyed reading about how all five authors get into the "writing mood!" :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were great! I love hearing how other writers work!
    xo
    -S

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great. I'll bookmark this so I can read it when I'm feeling too lazy to work on my novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you too, Lalaine!

    I've had Touch on my TBR forever! I don't function without coffee either. Just the smell of it lifts me up! LOL

    Thanks for all this insight to YA authors whose books I've been eyeballing for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such an amazing post! <3 I LOVED reading how those YA authors get focused while writing a book, because God knows I need help with that LOL! x) And I love so many of those authors too, so that made it extra awesome! :)

    I loved this post!! Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww thanks you guys! <3 HAve a happy holidays! Ill drop by your pages later ill have to do last minute shopping and ill be on it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post! It's always nice to read what the authors have to say.
    Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.