December 16, 2011

All These Things I've Done



 All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zavin
Series: Birthright #1
Published: September 6th 2011 by Pan Macmillan Australia
Buy: Amazon | Book Depository

Sixteen year-old Anya becomes the head of a mafia family after her parents are both murdered by rival gangs. Although Anya is embrolied in the criminal world, she is determined to keep her brother and sister out of the mafia family, but her father's relatives aren't so keen to let them go. When Anya's violent ex-boyfriend is poisoned with contaminated chocolate – chocolate that is produced illegally by Anya's mafia family – she is arrested for attempted murder and sent to the notorious jail on Manhattan Island.

Eventually she is freed by the new D.A. in town, who believs she has been framed. But this D.A. is the father of Win, a boy at school to whom Anya feels irresistibly drawn, and her freedom comes with conditions. Win's father wants to be mayor, and he can't risk having his ambition jeopardised by rumours spreading that his son is seeing a member of a notorious crime family. Anya knows she risks the safety of her family by seeing Win again, but the feeling between them may be too strong to resist..
*Thank you Pan Mcmillan for the review copy*


More WIN pleaseeeeeeee?!

So here in this futuristic time, Chocolate and Coffee banned and Alcohol allowed for underage, email sending has a postage and books being recycled into essentials like toilet tissue and money ? Never heard of this before. But come to think of it, the possibility of this to occur in real life and in our not so distant future really bugs me. I really really love my cup of coffee!!!

But where was the plot? While I was reading this book, I kept asking myself that same question over and over again. But I was totally engrossed with the protag's narration that the plot didnt bother me anymore. While having a little depth in the plot, I really did enjoy this book and I  really like the author's unique writing style.

Characterization was great. Anya is one of the strongest protagonist in the book I've ever read so far. Shes flawed, rational, independent, and a family oriented person. I could relate to her in a way and felt really connected to her thoughts and feelings. I love my family so much too specially my little sister(well, not so little anymore) Id do anything to protect them.  Funny, my dad used to or rather always tells us too that Family first before anything else and trust me, that is so true.  And for the love of chocolate, Win was freaking awesome, I loved this guy, he is totally the coolest ever. I also dig the starcrossed lover thingo. Anya's family came from a Mafia and Win's dad a police? Very interesting. Natty too is so adorable.

As for the plot, it lacks of definite conclusion and climax. Like what my blogger friend Shirley said, it's more like of random stuff that  happens. More like situations and some backgrounds. But like Ive said, I did like and enjoyed this book. It has so much potential and Id say that I am curious and intrigued with the second installment of this series.

10 comments:

  1. haha I'M MENTIONED <3 (thank you hon!) It's true that there's a lack of plot, but like you, I was able to forget about it since I was also engrossed with Anya's narration! But I still loved it! The writing style especially- it's one of the most original styles I've ever come across! Fantastic review <3 Hope you're enjoying UTNS now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this book for ages! Great review, Lalaine! Glad that you've pointed out the book weakness, now I know what to expect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I didn't even realize what book this one because of that cover. I saw "chocolate and coffee being illegal and thought that sounded very familiar haha. I've read a lot of reviews that mention the underwhelming ending which is a shame it sounds really promising. Excellent review Lalaine! <3

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book. Wasn't so much a fan per se with Win. But still a great book. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review my dear!! =D
    the way you feel about this book is exactly the same way I feel about The Pledge. I really like the characters and the idea, etc but the climax wasnt strong enough =T.
    I really like the idea of mafia thing but books with no strong climax...well... I may enjoy them but I still think I could read something much better instead.

    Thanks so much for the great and honest review my dear! and thak you so much for stopping by =D muah!!!!!! ^.^

    Happy weekend! and ENJOY Under the NEver Sky!! I cant wait to read it! looking forward to read your thoughts =D

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Erin thanks,glad you enjoyed this book too. and thank you! x

    @Natalia thank you sweetie!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm this sounds like an interesting one. I like the idea of a sixteen-year-old female mafia boss :) Although the plotlessness might be a bit of an issue for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lan thank you, I think the second book will be more interesting. I want to know whats going to happen next,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though the plot is lacking, it still curiously sounds like an interesting read. Chocolate and Coffee banned? Those are two of my favorite things :P

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.