December 22, 2011

HUSHED Blog Tour Stop: Interview with Kelley York, HUSHED

Hi guys! Today, Hushed Blog Tour stops here at Ficbookreviews.  Please welcome Kelley York, author of HUSHED.

1.  Please tell us a little bit about your self.

My name is Kelley York, and I live in central California. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, but only started in on writing novels a few years ago. I like darker, edgier stories, though now and again a light, fluffy read suits me just fine. HUSHED is the second book I've written, but the first to reach publication.

2.  For those who haven't read this book yet, what can your readers expect about HUSHED?

They can definitely expect a really dark read. HUSHED is darker than a lot of what's out there right now; it's a story about manipulative relationships, murder, and—if I did my job right—a book that will make readers questions themselves when they sympathize with a killer. 

3. Where do you get ideas when creating a character most especially Archer?

I have no honest idea. I get little snippets that pop into my head and expand from there. For Archer, it was the idea that I wanted to write about a boy who killed people for the girl he loved, thinking it was the right thing to do. The character of Archer spawned the entire novel. Everything in it branched off from his original concept.

4.  Did you anticipate how the story would end? Or it just evolve?

Well, it's funny, because I had a vague original idea. But by the time I reached the ending, so much in the book had changed from its original plans that the ending no longer worked. So it came time to write my last few chapters, and I had no clue how to end it. I just...wrote, and what you see is what came. (Some of the ending did get changed, or rather, added onto during edits.)


5. If there was a movie,  who's the actor would you like to play Archer ?

Steven R. McQueen, out of the actors I know of. He's not perfect in terms of looking like Archer, but I think he'd do so well because he's a great actor and has the perfect facial expressions! Honestly, if HUSHED were to become a movie, I imagine some talented just-out-the-gates actor getting the part.


6.  What is the worst part in writing a book?

Revision. I hate revision. Editing I can handle, changing little bits here and there. But major overhauls give me a massive headache and I hate them. It's why I strive to write really clean, concise, solid first drafts in order to avoid a lot of heavy revision later down the line.

7. Your top 5 favorite young adult books you have read so far?

That's hard! And it changes on my mood, too. Some of the most consistent ones, though:
(1) GONE, GONE, GONE by Hannah Moskowitz
(2) WARM BODIES by Isaac Marion
(3) HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE by Diana Wynne Jones
(4) BROTHER/SISTER by Sean Olin
(5) WITH OR WITHOUT YOU by Brian Farrey


8.  Are you working on a new book right now? If so, please tell us a little bit about it.

I can't say too much about it since I'm still in the early(ish) stages. But it's another LGBT novel and it's pretty dark, though not as dark as HUSHED.

9. Any last thoughts for our readers?

HUSHED, while a dark story, is one I think people who don't always like darker books might enjoy regardless. It's about murder and pain and manipulation, yes, but there's an underlying thread of hope and love that drives the entire story. Whether people love it or hate it, my goal was to present a book people would consider different from the norm.
____________________________________________________________________________
 Author Bio:

Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides
with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she
does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a
fascination with bells, adores all things furry - be them squeaky, barky
or meow-y - is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to
pretend she's a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real
unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid.

Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres
from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers,
paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character
development takes center stage.

Kelley's website: http://www.kelley-york.com/blog
____________________________________________________________________________


Hushed synopsis:


He's saved her. He's loved her. He's killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn't protect his best friend, Vivian, from
what happened when they were kids, so he's never stopped trying to protect
her from everything else. It doesn't matter that Vivian only uses him when
hopping from one toxic relationship to another - Archer is always there,
waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who's ever cared about Archer
without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more
Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders
Archer's committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn
him in if she doesn't get what she wants...And what she wants is Evan's
death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

'Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my
seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was
unputdownable!!!
' --- YA Fantasy Guide ---

'How exciting that we live in a time when gay teen protagonists can be
just as screwed up as straight ones -- and their stories just as creepy
!'
--- Brent Hartinger, award-winning author of Geography Club and Shadow
Walkers ---

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! It's definitely a different read. I absolutely loved it when I picked it up! IMO it had it all. But then I love intense, emotional reads and that dark twist to it was just... wow. I'll be keeping my eye out for the other book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that Steven guy really fits the look of Archer I had in mind. Great post I loved this one so always happy to see new things about it! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.