December 9, 2011

SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #1
Published: November 2011 by Allen & Unwin 



 Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
*Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy.*

Sexy, dark, gritty, inspiring, emotionally intense. A must-read.
SHATTER ME was just absolutely FASCINATING, Its impossible not to get lost in this book. I have to admit, I was kind of unsure what to expect when I started reading it. And it was wow...  And gosh. I'm telling you, the cover is just one of the beautiful covers I've seen this year.

The story was somehow believable I literally shudder at the mere thought of living in this cruel and terrifying  world the author has created.  Tahereh's writing is beautiful. Plot was well  thought out. It was also something familiar yet so unique. If that makes sense.The characters were intriguing. Juliette, I'm so fond of her, I find her mesmeric thoughts compelling.  From a vulnerable "freak" girl turned superhero? Just exhilarating. And ofcourse, how can I forget Adam? Ahhh, I've got 3 words for this guy. Hot as Hell. Period.

What about Kenji?I laughed out loud with this guy, he lightens up the mood when he's in the scenes, and for that I adored him, his "spectacular face" did it too. :D Wonder whats going to happen next, It would have been a interesting love triangle if he gets involved.

Overall, loved this book. Loved the plot, loved the characters, loved everything about it.
Heres to Tahereh Mafi! This book is something you shouldn't miss. Loved it, dying to read the second installment.  <3 Definitely recommended!


Excerpt:
I tried so hard to fix what I'd ruined. I tried every single day to be what they wanted. I tried all the time to be better but I never really knew how.
I only know now that the scientist are wrong.
The world is flat.
I know because I was tossed right off the edge and Ive been trying to hold on for 17 years. Ive been trying to climb back up for 17 years but its nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand.
When no one wants to risk touching you.

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh so happy you loved this!! I agree, Tahereh's writing is beautiful! OMG. You mentioned Keni! I'm sorry, but I'm definitely not sharing Kenjji with anyone! His spectacular face is all mine to gaze at!! I hope there's no love triangle though..Kenji will just get hurt:( Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley, I knowww! sorry Ok i take it back, I dont want him hurt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read so many stellar reviews of this one that it's making me very impatient to get it! The writing is so beautiful and I like the not being able to touch people idea. Kind of like X-men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I found this really scary too and I loved the x-men feel. I can't wait for book 2!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lan I was like that too before and now that I have read it I felt not at all disappointed.x

    @Giselle. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG OMG OMG YAY!!! I've heard nothing but good about this book so I'm sooooo glad you loved it :) Adam and Kenji totally make me want to pick this book up! *sigh* another book to add to my growing TBR list!!! Great review Lalaine!

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, I enjoyed it as well! Juliette's world was so dark and in depth I loved it.



    Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, yes, yes! Awesome review. I'm so sad I had to take a little break from it, I loved what I read so far. Great review. I'm so glad you loved it! :) Cannot wait to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! still on my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really had no idea what to expect when I picked up Shatter Me, but everything about it was so awesome and original. I found Kenji hilarious also. Glad to see you liked the book as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO with you on this cover! I wasn't sure about the cover in context of the book, but isn't it amazing? It SO stands out from the YA covers around at the moment. Perfect! I have NO idea how they'll top it for book 2.

    And YES to the world! The story frightened my because I could kind of believe the world as a future for our own, and it was terrifying!

    And the writing... just... gasp. Seriously. Was Shatter Me not PERFECT?

    <3 your review. You summed it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm SO with you on this cover! I wasn't sure about the cover in context of the book, but isn't it amazing? It SO stands out from the YA covers around at the moment. Perfect! I have NO idea how they'll top it for book 2.

    And YES to the world! The story frightened my because I could kind of believe the world as a future for our own, and it was terrifying!

    And the writing... just... gasp. Seriously. Was Shatter Me not PERFECT?

    <3 your review. You summed it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks sarah x I promise you that the cover is beautiful, its glittery gorgeous. I loved the look of iit on my shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.