December 29, 2011

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey
Published December 8th 2011 by Philomel/Penguin



Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon
Shattered Souls started off creepy and refreshing. I really thought it was  good until it became ridiculously slow and a cluttered mess. The premise is interesting but I was put off with some details and it kind of dragged the rest of it down. I really feel bad writing this review but to love this book is beyond me.

So for my review... the writing was outstanding, but it would have been a good story if it was written the other way around. I was also turned off with the plot twists, it just didnt appeal to me anymore..

Our protagonist- Lenzi aka Rose couldnt remember her past lives, to make it simple, her soul was recycled over and over again (dejavu? Fallen series?). She was a Speaker, who can talk to and help the hindred spirits or simply, ghosts find their resolutions and rest in peace forever. ofcourse, she doesnt remember that at all. Now comes Alden, he is the Protector of the Speaker, every Speaker is paired with a Protector(sounds more like Meridian?). Now before Alden came to her life, she had a boyfriend Zak, and I thought he was such an amazing guy, enter Alden and suddenly Zak became an agitated drunk dude like what the eff? I would have loved a love triangle, but this one? Just didn't go well for me. It was unfair and that's when I disliked  Lenzi.

While it wasn't excessively boring to read, I really had a hard time finishing it.  But please don't let my review stop you from reading this book, it just didn't blow me away like I was expecting. I guess its just not my cup of tea. Though I'm still glad most of you had great experience with this book.

 Have a wonderful day!xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm this one doesn't sound like it would be a good one for me at all. I don't mind love triangles sometimes but I hate it when the author takes the easy way out and makes one of the boys turn horrible for no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noe! I don't usually do well with slow reads. I still may give it a try though the reviews are so mixed on this one that I'm really curious!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this one at the moment. I don't like slow reads but hopefully I'll enjoy this book. Great review nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am realy interested in reading this one! The cover's just absolutely gorgeous. Awesome review, perhaps I'll try to read it and see for myself what it's like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you guys I really do hope you enjoy this book! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw no, I'm sorry you didn't like it too much! I've read a few very mixed reviews of this one lately and while I'm definitely curious, I'm starting to have my doubts about if I'll enjoy it or not. I'll probably push it down the to-read pile a bit for now though... Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Rebecca! Hope you enjoy it anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, interesting. The cover is gorgeous. I'll have to check it out and see what I think.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.