January 18, 2012

BAD GIRLS DON'T DIE by Katie Alender

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender 
Series: Bad Girls Don't Die #1
Published: March 20th 2010 by Disney Hyperion

Alexis thought she led a typically dysfunctional high school existence: dysfunctional like her parents' marriage; her doll-crazy thirteen-year-old sister, Kasey; and even her own anti-social, anti-cheerleader attitude.
When a family fight results in some tearful sisterly bonding, Alexis realizes that her life is creeping from dysfunction to dangerous. Kasey is acting stranger than ever: her blue eyes go green; she uses odd, old-fashioned language; and she even loses track of chunks of time, claiming to know nothing about her weird behavior. Their old house is changing, too. Doors open and close by themselves, water boils on the unlit stove, and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough for the girls to see their breath.
Alexis wants to believe it's all in her head, until these seemingly harmless occurrences become life-threatening--to her, to her family, and to her budding relationship with the student council vice president. Alexis knows she's the only person who can stop Kasey; but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?
 Uber-creepy! Enticing!


I've been craving for a good creepy story lately, and was lucky to have picked up this amazing book. I finished it in one day, started at midnight, had to put it down at 5 am continued right after I woke up.  But before I give you my thoughts about BAD GIRLS DON'T DIE, Id like to share this with you, while I was in the middle of reading this book- in my living room, and mind you, it was even day time and would never mind a situation like this if I was reading something else, -suddenly the power just died, house eerily dark and quiet with my dog at my feet looking at me like I have sprouted some thing in my head and confused(I must have been doing the same stare at her), you know that feeling like you'd like to jump out of you skin, and scream but you couldn't? Like in some horror flicks that Ive watched with victims rooted on the spot, stunned looking around wildly and waiting to be murdered(I thought it was dumb), thats what happened to me, and man will I ever make fun of those movies again. I think I must have done something like a gasp or a squeak. Whatever. And then I jumped off the couch, ran to the door with my dog following me behind(poor baby) and went outside barefooted, holding my phone in my hand, like my life depends on it. Ugh, *palms on face* 

Anyways, I loved this book, the descriptive elements were quite lurid, it felt so real and I could picture the "architectural jumble" ancient house where Alexi and her family lives, in my head. I don't know with you guys but I believe in a haunted house. What about those dolls her sister were obsessively collecting in her room? Or hiding underneath a table inside a dark basement? Not only that, characters were potent and believable. At first though, I hated Alexi, because she was kind of bitter, aloof, loner, but as I read further, I get to know her and her reasons why, I actually end up really liking her and had me snorting at some point. And her sister, I was like "spank-the-hell-out-of-her-already-will-ya?" but then Id realize she was just not herself, possessed by some evil spirit, so I had to take a deep breathe and kept telling myself that.

 But putting the scary stuff aside, this book also sends a message, about friendship, family and being just who you really are.  Also, the romance here was just enough, without any love triangle or instahlove atleast that's what I felt, an instant connection yes, maybe. The plot could be a cliche, an old creepy house with a ghost haunting in it, but for me, I didnt even think about that at all, because the story was really stitched together nicely, narration was fascinating and scenes had me gripping the book and shifting on my seat, and yeah made a fool of myself too. *rolls eyes*

 Overall, I really enjoyed this book. At some point I thought I was watching a real movie.Cant wait to read the second book, FROM BAD TO CURSE, hope it would be as good as this one. For those who likes evil-ghost stories I think you'd like to check this one out. By the way, creepy cover too, it totally represents the freaky contents of this book.









12 comments:

  1. I loved this book and that cover is super freaky.

    Great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Lalaine! I didn't love this one but it does have some good creepy parts. I found the rest a little too cliché for my taste but I seem to b in the minority here haha.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I love that it was described well enough that you were able to fully picture the scenes in your head. And it's nice to have a good message - especially if the story is good enough to match it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this book sounds mysterious and great! I love the cover and the title. Awesome review, Lalaine, glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review and Yes this was one scary book. I read it last year along with the second one. I so just love being scared when I read. It makes reading the book more fun! I am glad you enjoyed it.

    -Beckie
    http://www.bittersweet-enchantment.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant wait to read the second one! I already have it here waiting to be read! thankyou Chi.x

      Delete
    2. I hope you enjoyed it. Sorry, for the way late reply. :) Your welcome.

      - Beckie

      Delete
  7. oh my lanta! This book sounds great! Thanks for sharing, I'll totes give it a read!

    <3 jordan
    JordanDibb.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg, that's so creepy the power just went out! I'd freak out too, no doubt. o.o I'm glad you enjoyed it so much though! I love books you can't put away and feels like watching a movie... I cannot wait to read this one! It sounds so, so good! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.