January 1, 2012

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman
Published: October 1st 2011 by HarperTeen (first published June 29th 2010)
"There’s a reason why Brewster can’t have friends – why he can’t care about too many people. Because when he cares about you, things start to happen. Impossible things that can’t be explained. I know, because they're happening to me."

When Brontë starts dating Brewster “Bruiser” Rawlins – the guy voted “Most Likely to Get the Death Penalty” her twin brother, Tennyson, isn’t surprised. But then strange things begin to occur. Tennyson and Brontë’s scrapes heal unnaturally fast, and cuts disappear before their eyes. What at first seems like their good fortune turns out to be more than they bargained for…much more.
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman has crafted a chilling and unforgettable novel about the power of unconditional friendship, the complex gear workings of a family, and the sacrifices we endure for the people we love

I just finished this book and I'm utterly speechless. I cannot stop thinking about how moving it was. When I found out that this was Neal Shutterman's work,  I had to read it. Why I LOVED this book? because it was well-written, humorous, inspiring and emotional.. . because It had my heart broken and healed afterwards.. because this book was able to capture a story about having to endure the fear, pain, or other unpleasant emotions in life and then able to overcome them and take them as opportunities to learn and grow. This book is not concentrating much on romance, but life in general. And I guess that's really a good one for a change once in awhile. A great story with morals.


So we have Brewster and Cody's,  Bront and Tennyson's (twins) point of views and I loved the way it was structured and I totally connected with the characters. I know, multiple POV can be sometimes confusing, but hey it was amazingly justified! I so loved Brew's it was a beautifully written  free verse. So he is our guy here, Brew has this ability to take the pain whether emotionally or physically,  away from those people he cares about.. and like pain-killers they get addicted to Brew's presence, why not? Who wouldn't want a pain-free life? But pain is what it takes for Brew to gain friends and be totally accepted. But how much can he take?

LOVED IT. The story and the characters are going to stay with me for a long time. The ending was open-ended, so its up to you where you'd like it to go, sky is the limit. =)
 
Loved this quote:
"This moment marking the first time I've seen my gift as a wonder and not a curse,
For standing between Cody and his pain is my obligation,
and standing between my uncle and his pain is my rent,
but the pain I coax from Bront is my joy." - Brew

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS! XOXO

4 comments:

  1. ooh i need 2 read this
    contemp yunkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh neat twin POVs? I loved his Uglies series and I'm pretty sure I even have this one on my reader already I def. plan to give it a try soon! Wonderful review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has a lot of valid points. The book has some interesting features.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.