January 21, 2012

DON'T BREATHE A WORD by Holly Cupala

Don't Breathe A Word by Holly Cupala  
Published: January 3rd 2012 by HarperTeen

Joy Delamere is suffocating...

From asthma, which has nearly claimed her life. From her parents, who will do anything to keep that from happening. From delectably dangerous Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out.

Joy can take his words - tender words, cruel words - until the night they go too far.

Now, Joy will leave everything behind to find the one who has offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. She will become someone else. She will learn to survive. She will breathe... if only she can get to Creed before it’s too late.

Set against the gritty backdrop of Seattle’s streets and a cast of characters with secrets of their own, Holly Cupala’s powerful new novel explores the subtleties of abuse, the meaning of love, and how far a girl will go to discover her own strength.
"He had reduced me to ashes.

And now I would rise." - Triste

Raw, gritty and terrifying but beautiful. Don't Breathe A Word is a kind of book that will give you a healthy dose of realism. It has the kind of characters that will make you feel their struggle, frustration, anger, pain and happiness as if it was yours. The kind of book that will make you think hard, throwing yourself questions if you were in her shoes, "what would I do if it was me"? The beautiful writing pulled me into the story from the first page right untill the end. This book is on first narrative, the story deals with an asthmatic young girl named Joy and her story was revealed bit by bit leaving you to crave for more information of what drove her to leave the safety of her home into a very dangerous world of homeless people in the street. Intense dangers and also vivid settings as a part of street life, at some point my heart skipped a beat maybe even more, or so angry I felt a little sick, terrified or just pure joy.

I know this is already overuse but well, I'd use it again if needed.. unputdownable.  I finished this right after I got home, no matter how exhausted I was, I just had to know what happened.  So eventually Joy had to change her name from Joy to Triste, which she/I reckon fits her life that moment. I also loved how music was a part of this story, since I came from a family who loves and plays music, and I really really like a guy who plays guitar mind you! His name is Creed(loved the name!), who was also a runaway whom Triste/Joy met in the street. And from there their journey begins...

"We're words enough to count as hurting?"
 Yes! "Words cuts deeper than sword." And that my friend, will play a big part in this book. Ending was the kind of ending I'd like to read over and over again. I really really enjoyed this book, I think I even loved it. And after reading this, it's made me more self-aware, about young runaways and how we could do something about by simply helping those people close to you who needs a friend, or by our neighborhood donating or by volunteering in a shelter. "A portion of her(Holly Cupala) proceeds goes toward helping sexually exploited girls around the world."

loved this:
Creed took another bite of his sandwich. “There was this
horse I used to know. Callisto—named after a nymph of
Artemis.”
“Goddess of the hunt,” I supplied.
“Yes. She was so beautiful—honey colored, with deep
black eyes. She used to love to run on the beach, except
she’d always pull toward the water. Over and over again,
this would happen. I took her out to run on the beach, and
she would try to gallop straight into the ocean.”
I realized I wasn’t even eating anymore, didn’t feel the
cold—only the rhythmic gallop of a horse named Callisto.
“So what happened?”
“One day I let her.”
“You let her go into the ocean?”
“Yeah. I just held on to the reins and let her go wherever
she wanted to go.”
“And?”
“She kept going. Into the ocean, further and further until
she was all the way up to her neck, straining against the
water. She didn’t swim. She just kept trotting, trying to go
where she knew she was meant to go.”
Maybe like Creed and his music, straining against the
waves. Like me, straining against my asthma and the reins
my family and Asher put on me because of it. At some point
the horse would have to stop struggling and go back to
shore or she would die. But for now, she’d left the reins
behind.
“I always think about that, when I think about why I’m
here,” Creed said.
The sun was almost completely behind the mountains
now, except for a sliver of gold. It was so beautiful, I thought
I could cry.

How I imagined Creed <3

11 comments:

  1. Must check this one out.

    And no, it's not because of how you imagined Creed - which, okay, helps - but because it sounds like the kind of book I'd want to read in one of my "serious" spells.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh Creed, yes, and yes I totally understand what your saying :)) *grins* I hope you enjoy this book too Ronx

      Delete
  2. Omg I'M so excited for this one Lalaine! Unputdownable is never used too much! :D I can't wait I keep hearing great things about it!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realy really want to read this!!! Now your review have convinced me to read it! Awesome review, Lalaine! So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really interesting! I'll definitely have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds awesome
    tnx 4 reviewing
    i <3 contemp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh yes me too Roro. Enjoy reading. x

      Delete
  6. I had this on my book list for a while, and now I just want to read it!

    Great review.

    -Marybeth P.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gritty is a very apt word to describe this book. I remember coming out from reading this book and not being certain as to whether or not I actually enjoyed it. It's probably one of those books which I'll need to re-read to get a better handle on. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.