January 23, 2012

DROUGHT by Pam Bachorz

Drought by Pam Bachorz
Published January 25th 2011 by EgmontUSA


 Ruby Prosser dreams of escaping the Congregation and the early-nineteenth century lifestyle that’s been practiced since the community was first enslaved.

She plots to escape the vicious Darwin West, his cruel Overseers, and the daily struggle to gather the life-prolonging Water that keeps the Congregants alive and gives Darwin his wealth and power. But if Ruby leaves, the Congregation will die without the secret ingredient that makes the Water special: her blood.

So she stays.

But when Ruby meets Ford, the new Overseer who seems barely older than herself, her desire for freedom is too strong. He’s sympathetic, irresistible, forbidden—and her only access to the modern world. Escape with Ford would be so simple, but can Ruby risk the terrible price, dooming the only world she’s ever known?


This is going to be a hard and short review. The reason I've read this book was because of the plot seemed so intriguing and that It has a very low ranking at Goodreads I was more curious to know why, so that also means that the reviews were not that positive. Well now I understand why, but I wont deny that I kind of enjoy this book. Also I'd like to let you know that this isnt a dystopian at all. 

This book somehow reminded me of this movie The Village(2004) living in a small town surrounded by woods without knowing the outside world at all. DROUGHT was all about this "cult-thing-people" who lives in a woods who worship a man named Otto, this man's blood can heal the almost anything. One day, he was gone, but left 4 vials of bloods which his people could drink mixed with water for communion. But not only that, he also has a child from Sula, named Ruby, so our protagonist also carries Otto's blood and now her blood is now being mixed with the Water for her people but they are a slave as well by this man named Darwin, who beats them after a hard days work of scraping the water from the leaves into their cups, to gather a Water. So I'll stop from here.  

The thing is, Ruby has been living for 200 years and she isn't quite what you can say mature but as naive as she can be I really did enjoy reading her point of view, she was naive but atleast she did think of fighting back. And her people were just ridiculous, they are so hung up waiting for this Otto to save them from being a slave, they only endure,they do not fight back, like what the hell? It was ridiculous, I could laugh. Some details just doesnt makes sense to me. Trust me I did a lot of mental hitting and slapping. I also cannot believe why no one has ever found these cult people living in this woods. I was also left with so many questions after I finished this book, I'd like to know what happened to her annoying mother and people and if Otto is ever really going to rescue them from being a slave or if he really is holly because of her magical blood. Otto was always mentioned here but never showed up at all. I wanted resolution, so curious I demand a second book. 

This book is not for everyone, that I'm sure of.  This book has so much potential but I guess it was overlooked, overall it was an okay read. But please don't let my review stop you from picking up this book, remember its always nice to challenge ourselves once in a while. :)

13 comments:

  1. Great review! I love the cover, but the book itself doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy reading that much.

    http://falln2books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very intriguing! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually love Egmont books, but from whta you say here, there are a number of issues that would keep me from enjoying this one - main character naive after 200 years? Passive people who wait to be saved? Unreasonable society? Er... I think I'll pass!

    Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, though! It was a great review!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never heard of this book sounds interesting. Thank you for the awesome review, Lalaine! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haah this review is great Lalaine! I haven't heard about this book before and The Village was very... unique O_O I' not sure this'd be for me. It's funny you read a book to know why it had a low rating! haha


    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha. So I've found someone else who actually reads books based on the low Goodreads rating. I do that, just to see if I can find something different in it :D Maybe I'll pick it up too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting indeed, my friend! Thanks for sharing.

    <3 jordan
    JordanDibb.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoaa...That cover is CREEPY!!! And the cult-thing is giving me the shivers already :S This Probably isn't the book for me =( but Awesome review, Lalaine<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this book before but it seems interesting. I really like the cover. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review! I'll have to check this book out. New follower here. Found you on Book Blogs. Just stopping by to say hi!

    Amber
    http://falln2books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good, honest review. Thanks for posting,

    Jessica from Booked Up!
    http://www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com/

    :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I do admit I'm still super curious! Perhaps even more when I too want to find out how bad it can be, because it sure sounds interesting! Gah. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does definitely sound intriguing. You know, reviews like yours make me MORE curious about a book, especially if it seems to be a love-hate kind of story. I will have to check this out! Thanks for the great review. :)

    Sam @ Realm of Ficton

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.