January 3, 2012

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

 The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe
Expected publication: January 24th 2012 by Murdoch Books (Pier9)


It starts with an itch you just can't shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you'll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.

And then you're dead.
When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back.
Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.
Because how will she go on if there isn't?
Megan Crewe crafts a powerful and gripping exploration of self-preservation, first love, and hope. Poignant and dizzying, this heart-wrenching story of one girl’s bravery and unbeatable spirit will leave readers fervently awaiting the next book in this standout new series.
*Thank you Murdoch Books (Pier9) for the copy*

This realistic dystopian novel has a very interesting premise, but it took me a long time to finish it, much longer than it should have. A very, very, slow start and I would find myself disconnected with Kaelyn at times. However, she's affecting at most. I really feel for her, I mean,  witnessing people dying around you, especially your loved ones is just awful. Her hopelessness, her fear of losing her family and friends was very infectious, it touched me in a way. The story was gripping once I'd overcome the slow start.

The plot was spread thin and though individual scenes were gritty realistic and effectual, there could have been more of plot, climax and twist and strong characterization. I like the idea as a whole though, an outbreak, unknown deadly virus that's spreading  fast throughout the island and is killing so many people. It was terrifying,very disturbing and believable. Its just unimaginable.

Its also supposed to be written as a collection of letters for Kaelyn's bestfriend Leo, but it was too formal and more like a prose to me. I guess it would have been much better if it was written differently. And disappointed that Leo didn't even show up in the book, but I heard that there is going to be a second book and that Leo will be playing a huge part in the said book, so I could say that I am really looking forward for it and excited because Iam so intrigued with this character who was not in the scenes at all just a name mentioned by our protag Kaelyn.

Overall, it was an okay read for me. If you like the whole concept then I think you will enjoy this book.

Australian readers, this book is already out at Dymocks, pretty sure of it.

4 comments:

  1. I actually really enjoyed this book! I agree that it was slow, but for some unknown reason I couldn't stop reading despite the fact that I usually give up on slow books! I was also disappointed that Leo didn't show up in the book,but I'm definitely looking forward to his much bigger role in the next one:D Fantastic review <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I was really hoping this was a good one. Sounds really slow and I usually don't like slow. Not in a dystopian anyways.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dystopian, but I'm kinda disappointed this has a very slow start. For me, dystopians need to pull you in right from the beginning! Glad the story did eventually become gripping though - but sorry it was just an okay book for you overall. Maybe you'll enjoy the next book more! Thanks for the review :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it was slow but it has a great premise. But I hope you enjoy this more than I did. :)

    thanks for the comments <3

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.