February 12, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Published: January 31st 2012 by Tor Teen

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.
Gritty and riveting.

"I'm not fine," he said. "Not without you."

Wow, this book brought back memories, when I was still a little girl(3 to 4 years old) old enough to remember Coup d'├ętat or in our language Kudeta that happened in our country. Some of you might heard of it, that our country(Philippines) had a Martial law- is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis- this book has a little resemblance to that. But our former President Marcos(Martial Law) was believed to abused the human rights and authority so eventually, there was a mass revolution to ousted the ex-president and he fled and died in exile. But some people think it was not that bad since there was not much of a crime but some does think it was a very difficult era. But Im pretty suremost people don't want to go back to that old days ever again.

So yeah, the author pretty much nailed it. I mean, it felt so real, I was so scared, like I said it brought back some flashes of memories when me, my sister and my mom had to hide underneath the table while my dad was doing the Rambo thing outside the door(my dad's a military), and someone's shooting who knows who everywhere. I was terrified that time. The story could potentially occur ten years from now, or 5 years, or maybe next year..(Hell no!Hope not!)

Characters were great, believable and I easily connected to them, I think Ember sometimes could be a little annoying but she has her reasons to.  And Chase! I loved him! I swear he makes my heart beats a little bit faster than normal. And I totally dig Chase being a little scared and freaked-out at times, I know, living with my dad, trust me I know. One time my mom had to wake up my dad who fell asleep in the living room and she was poking my dads foot with her fingers when my dad suddenly jerked awake and was so alert eyes wild, like what the hell?! Like Ive said, Kristen pretty much nailed this book.

Plot twists was moving, and suspenseful,  dangers faced were intense. A cruel world that the author has created will make you fear for their lives. Dying to read the second book, I hope it will be as good as the first.
Losing your family... it puts fear in a different perspective, Chase had once told me.
"You hit me for kissing you. It seemed my best interest to marry you while you were passed out." -Chase


You might also like:

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow this must have been an even better read for you then to have seen about something similar. It's definitely a scary world and I really enjoyed the rush of all the action in this one. Lovely review Lalaine dearest! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that must have been a terrible experience for you. SO SCARY! But yeah, this one sounds super scary even without that... I can't wait to read it though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, ouch...I feel like I'm going to go research the history of Phillippines now. Your review reminds me a little about what I felt about Legend- like, Marie Lu(author) witnessed(?) the 1989 Chinese massacre and the gun shooting scenes in her book just prompted me to wonder what it was like during the massacre. I mean, I didn't experience it first-hand( nor witnessed it for that matter) but it totally made me wonder a lot...I'm positive I'll enjoy this one:D Fabulous review! I can't wait to meet Chase <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, L, that was such a stunning story! I love how you connected a past experience with the book, because only the best ones can make you feel things like that, I think. <3 The world in this one was reminiscent of ours for sure! But you can't know how GLAD I am that you loved this book too! It was definitely one of my favourites of the year! ;)

    Amazingly beautiful review, Lalaine! I'm dying to read the second book too -- I need more Chase LOL!! x) <3

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.