February 25, 2012

BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives bearing four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on a quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction

Blood Red Road by Moira Young
Series: Dust Lands #1
Published January 3rd 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry
Buy this book: Amazon | Book Depository

I'll find you. Wherever they take you, I swear I'll find you.

Enticing, thrilling book and a kick-ass heroine! One of the best book ever. And the good news is it will be a movie in 2014!

WOW, this book completely BLEW ME AWAY! And now I want to own a crow for a pet! :)

The world that the author has created was gritty, crazy and terrifying. The solid and vivid characters, the romantic tension, the brutal breathless scenes, the intensity of the plot has captivated me like the Hunger Games did :)  that I found this book very very very hard to put down. *note: The last thing I wanna do is compare the two books, just the same hyped I had when I read them if you know what I mean.*

So Lugh was abducted by the Tontons, as a sacrifice for their King Lewis Ex Eye Vi(Vicar Pinch) long life. Saba(his twin) promised to find him but has no idea what's outside Silverlake where they grew up. Hidden by their father in a dying place Saba set off after her twin Lugh  bringing along her little sister Emmie, but it wasn't that easy, dangers and unfortunate events, unexpected things will happen that will change their lives forever.

OK while the plot/premise was something not new to us, it was revived to utmost. The cage fighting was once again a kick-ass, you don't get to read a girl cage fighting in a book everyday, Saba became the Angel of Death. The descriptive elements used were just rich that I could picture it in my head. The writing style of Moira Young was different here, so this book was written from the point of view of Saba who is uneducated so the spelling and grammar might put you off, some claims it was abysmal some liked it as it fits the situation and the character but everyone is different. Honestly, I thought it was going to ruin the story but as I went on it just gets better and better that I didn't mind reading Saba's narration at all. And as for Saba yes she was stubborn and selfish but I watched her grow up and mature through-out her journey. And Jack, oh Jack, why is this name so irresistible? Jack is as stubborn and as driven like Saba and the love and hate relationship between these two  was just amusing. The characters around Saba has also contributed so much in her story. Nero the crow was also an amazing character, like I've said I want to get a crow for a pet because of this book!

The ending wasn't a cliffhanger which is good I reckon but still on high that will leave you wanting for more. I RECOMMEND this to those who loves post-apocalypse and wouldn't mind reading a different writing.

Move fast, travel light an never tell 'em yer real name, Jack says.

 this is the second book eeeh Its JACK!!!!! How sexy is he? I cant wait for this to comeout!
 Rebel Heart (Dust Lands #2) Expected publication: October 30th 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry

6 comments:

  1. Aw, yay--I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was was surprised by how much I liked it, too. :) Just a fun, fun book. Can't wait for the sequel!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh!!! Yes, I've seen this series around. I knew I recognized it, but I'm more familiar with the second one (hawtttt--*fans self*)

    I'm so glad you liked it so much! Now I definitely have to read this series ;o It sounds real good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an awesome book I am definteley going to see read it and check out the movie as well(:

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Didn't I comment on this! I said I Was excited to be reading this one soon. I just got it last week and I'm very curious about the way it's written especially. I also mentioned how my book the Big letters are not "Dust Lands like that photo. It,s "Blood Red Road" which makes more sense >.< Anyhow. Great review Lalaine! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry my freaking blogger was playing up! thanks Giselle! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I think I need to start getting more hyped about this kind of book. They seem to be the new black, and so many people likes them! So, why not start by this series? You made is sound amazing! And the covers are super cool!

    Thanks for the post, Lalaine!

    ROn @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.