February 10, 2012

EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton



Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Published January 24th 2012 by Harper Collins / Simon and Schuster Australia

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

*Thank you Simon and Schuster and Harper Collins for giving me the ARC and the finished copy*

Before I start with my review, I'd like to say that I really missed you guys, hope everyone is alright! <3 I had an internet connection problem for like 2 freaking weeks, but now its all fixed and so happy to be back! Im sorry if this review wont be long( bit in a hurry), but would love to share what I felt about this book.

EVERNEATH is going to be a great series. A fabulous treat of romance and a clever and modernized Greek mythology twist of the famous tragic love story of Eurydice and Orpheus. I love this myth amongst all. For me it never gets old.
"If there is an afterlife, I want my soul intact. And then maybe I'll see you there."I smiled, somehow calm now that I was facing something inevitable. I was getting the good-bye I'd always wanted.
The writing is stunning, I really like how Nikki's story was told piece by piece, curiosity had me going to see how Nikki had ended up in Everneath, why did she choose to return to her old life-to Jack, and how will she get away from the Tunnels from claiming her, the reason why she left everything behind. But her time in the mortal world is limited and she needed to do things right and say good bye this time...

The characterization was done really good, Nikki started  flawed, broken and lost, but her character had some developments through out the story. I was just kind of confused and irritated towards her when she came back for Jack but then she doesn't even want to talk to him at all, *rolls eyes*. But I am more intrigued and fond of Jack <3. How can you not be? He's total devotion for Nikki was just overwhelming... Cole was mysterious, I do like him at times, I think there's more to him than our author is letting on, I cant wait for the second book ek! The ending was just BEAUTIFUL, It could be devastating yes, but somehow hopeful.   
"Sometimes...." He paused and squeezed his eyes shut. " Sometimes our hearts.... crack a little." -Jack
 "I didnt tell him I'd thought of him every day. That even when every other memory had faded, he never left. - Nikki

8 comments:

  1. Omg I really enjoyed this too! I loved how we went back and forth it made it so intriguing to read. And you describe Nikki's development really well it was really well written! Happy you enjoyed it Lalaine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad to have you back. Internet issues sucks. o:

    Oh, I looooved Jack! I liked Cole and definitely thinks it's more to him, but... he tried to ruin them! I couldn't like him as a part of the story. He's like the mean third wheal. ;o But as a character he's definitely mysterious! Gah, I want the sequel nowwww. The ending broke my heart. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review!! I will definitely be geting this one from the library now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! <3 I'm so happy you're back, Lalaine! I was wondering where you disappeared too, but I definitely understand that internet problems are TERRIBLE, so you don't have to feel bad. I'm just really glad to have you back! :)

    And I just love your review like I love this book!! <3 We're almost like twins! Like you, I was Team Jack and Brodi Ashton's writing stunned me too! The ending was equal parts melancholy and beauty, and I'll be waiting with you for book 2 for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved this book too. Oh Jack . . . you are a sweetheart. Sighs. He is one of the most perfect boyfriends in YA lit. Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again and welcome back!

    I've seen some trusted reviews about this one that made me want to read it, and now I've to admit that I can hardly wait. It's a great review, and the quotes only made me want to read the whole pages where they came from.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Lalaine! We missed you A LOT!!! I haven't read this book but I AM SO DYING TO! Awesome review, Lalaine! <3 So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh great review! I've been dying to read this for ages now! :D

    p.s. Thank you for helping me with my header! :) it was annoying me for ages! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.