February 20, 2012

THE FUTURE OF US by Jay Asher

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present

Published: November 21st 2011 by Razorbill
Buy this book: Amazon | Book Depository

"It was love because it was worth it."
Fun, engaging and unique.

Woaw, this book totally had me reminiscing and wishing I was back at 90's. I'm guessing some of you are teenagers so you never really witnessed the 90's era.  For me it was the best decade ever. And reading this book was like going back in time when I was in highschool and also the music*squeals*, I could totally relate. These two authors pulled a two different characters together neatly.  So yes, I'd say I  loved this book and I loved Josh ;).

The plot was simple yet unique and very intriguing, I'm sure you'd be intrigued too once you see a site that shows your future you, right?  I was drawn to the story of these two teenagers who used to be bestfriends until Josh wanted more than that, but Emma didn't want to lose Josh so she wanted to stay the way they were before. But who is she kidding? Nothing will ever be the same. again But a very weird incident happened and Emma will do anything just to get rid of her unfortunate self in that awful future of her.  Unlike Emma, Josh's future was just great, beautiful wife and children plus a successful career. So basically Josh should be okay with everything, but after a while he learned he isn't happy at all, and as for Emma, will she ever learn to love? In the end, they will find out, that the only thing that could make them happy is just right in front of their eyes.. or will they?

I've felt so many emotions while reading this book, I felt jealous, angry, happy, I was frustrated that why cant they see, its them that was meant for each other? The story was also predictable, but fun and entertaining, its a kind of story that you'd continue reading because you still want to witness and experience every moment of it. Loved the ending too, I thought it was just perfect. Would totally read these two authors books/work again.
History's a bitch when you're in the middle of it.
You need to figure out what you want, Josh. If that means you need to swim against the tide to get it, at least youre aiming for something that could make you very happy.

14 comments:

  1. I've got this book but haven't got the time to read it yet!! I am so GLAD you enjoyed, Lalaine! <3 The idea of Facebook in a book sounds really interesting! I think I prefer the UK/AU cover of The Future of Us but anyway, AWESOME REVIEW!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh I think I know what cover your talking about! thanks Celine, Ill check that cover out. x

      Delete
  2. You were in high school in the 90's too? I graduated in 2002 so this was really cool to read for me too! I'm glad you enjoyed it it was very unique and if you haven't, you must also read his 13 Reasons Why novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I was a freshmen in 1996 I graduated 2000, during those times we called ourselves Y2k graduates :) Im 29yo now and I still think 90's was the best eras ever specially when it comes to music. :)and yes I already have that book Im reading it one day :).thank you Giselle<3

      Delete
  3. Best decade ever?? Ohhh man, that really makes me wish I hadn't been in baby diapers at the time LOL! x) I felt the exact same way while I was reading this book! It was just SO DARN SWEET, and it made my emotions run on high. It may not have been the most complex, but I loved it to death anyways and I'm glad you did too! :)

    Amazing review, Lalaine! If we both cross our fingers that Jay & Carolyn work together again, maybe it will happen! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to read this one, I've had it on my list forever (though this cover is new to me) and can't wait to finally get to it. I've heard all the 90's references are fun to read, so I'm really looking forward to them. Glad we get a really satisfying ending too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when a book makes you feel different emotions - it means it has some great writing!

    Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great read I like the quote "It was love because it was worth it" (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was quite young during the 90's (got 8 years!) but I still remember certain things from back then and loved it all, so I'm definitely curious to read this one! It sounds super interesting, that's for sure, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Time to bump this one up the to-read pile as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason, I had thought this was contemporary. Wow. The idea is so compelling! I need to add this to my TBR pile. Besides, it might improve my facebook-using habits - as in, I might actually get the hang of it after this book! Yay!

    Thanks for the great review, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. :) I've been wanting to read this one for awhile now--I keep hearing some good things about it so I think I'll definitely pick it up sometime this year if time and reading schedule ever permits haha. That darn TBR pile never ceases to quit growing. :P I was starting high school toward the end of the 90s and graduated early at the end of '02 (even though I was technically class of '03, I graduated before them haha). I loved the 90s, lol. I think I'll really like this book and relate with a lot of it.

    Hope you're having a great week!

    <3
    Pixie
    The Bookaholic
    http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review!! I have been debating whether I should read this one or not but now I will!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this book. My main issue with it was Emma. She annoyed me so much and I could never see myself even being facebook friends with her in real life. I loved Josh though and this book brought back many memories of my childhood!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.