February 26, 2012

THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH by Carrie Ryan

"My life will never be my own." 
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?


The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth #1
Published February 9th 2010 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers


"My life will never be my own."
I know this book/series is old, so I'm guessing most of you have already read this book. So I wont take too much of your time in reading my review, it wont be that long :). OK here goes nothing..

Totally enjoyed this book, so glad I finally read it. The writing style was sensational. I felt like like I was watching a movie, a zombie movie! :) First of all, I was so intrigued with the plot, the depth of mystery pulled me in quickly.  Second, the lurid settings blended perfectly with the dark shadowy mood of the story. The story was also written in first person, Mary, I like reading her thoughts and her feelings, shes flawed which I really like about a character, she's driven but erratic, which raised my interest and curiosity about her. And to be honest, I've already read the second installment and I really like the character of Mary better than Gabry(2nd book's protag), just saying. Characters around her were also effective.
Intense survival, dangers faced were great, too many losses and full of mystery, I was gripping the book so tight. There were scenes that was kind of slow, like when they went to gate XIV, where they were stuck in a house and waited to get out again. But other than that this was such a great experience. I was surprise with the ending though it wasn't a cliffhanger, it was her sudden action that I was kind of speechless for a minute there, but its also an ending that starts a new story. :)

Loved this quote:
“It's not about surviving. It should be about love.
When you know love … that's what makes this life worth it. When you live with it every
day. Wake up with it, hold on to it during the thunder and after a nightmare. When love is
your refuge from the death that surrounds us all and when it fills you so tight that you
can't express it.” He rocks forward and backward as tears stream down his face. Around
us the Unconsecrated continue their moaning.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, Lalaine! You're so sweet! <3 LOL I have read this before, but I love reading your reviews anyways so it's definitely okay! :)

    Awesome review! I felt like I was watching a zombie movie too while reading this -- it was so creepy and dark, and just like you, I liked that Mary was a flawed character because that made her all the more interesting. :) I'm really glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, isn't it funny how quickly we consider a series 'old'?
    Oh goodness, you just broke my heart with quote. I've read THIS one before, but I've not read the rest in the series.

    All I ever remember when thinking about this one is how very, very sad it left me, but you make it sound amazing all over again! I remember being frustrated with Mary... on one hand, I admired her, and she was exactly who she should have been, and behaved exactly how I would have in the same situation... butI just kept screaming "Nononononoooo!" I could see where it was going, and it was horrifying :(

    I'm SO glad you loved this one, and I LOVE how you described it: "The writing style was sensational. I felt like like I was watching a movie, a zombie movie... the depth of mystery pulled me in quickly. Second, the lurid settings blended perfectly with the dark shadowy mood of the story." PERFECT. YES YES AND YES! It was an AMAZING book. Perfect review! ♥

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.