March 9, 2012

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher



Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers. 


+ Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
 Published July 1st 2010 by Penguin Books
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Recommended


"This was not a spurr-of-the-moment decision. Do not take me for granted... again."

Spectacular writing and an engrossing heart-felt story. Life changing and hopeful.

O.M.G. seriously? Why didn't I read this book before? I mean this is a kind of book every one MUST read. The story was poignant and realistic that it was impossible not to be greatly affected, yes it was sad I got teary and such but it was also hopeful and uplifting. Reading this book has opened up my eyes to things and has touched me in so many ways, I am so overwhelmed.

So before I read this amazing book, I came across Jay Asher's blog and played the excerpt audiobook for 13RW, and I was under-spell soon as I heard it. I mean, the girl's voice was so creepy, I mean not totally her voice but the whole idea of her talking about her life's story and why she's ending it, over a voice recorder before she killed herself, its just so cruel yet intriguing. And that's when it hit me, I got to read it, I must.

It was like I was there,  with Clay listening to Hannah's voice and not reading. I felt every emotions he was feeling as if it was mine. From bittersweet to gut-wrenching moments, it was agonizing. I wanted to hug Clay and tell him it's okay but like him, I could only listen to Hannah's. Gosh even now, I'm getting teary eyes. This book gave me a profound realization with things or rather facts that happens in real life. I fell in love with Clay, I knew he was such a great guy, but also flawed and so real that I totally connected with him as well as Hannah.  You know that unpleasant feeling thinking of what you could have, should have done but its already too late?
"You can't go back to how things were. How you thought they were.
All you really have is.. now"
Just an amazing book that I recommend to everyone who hasn't read this book yet, I don't recommend too often but this one deserves it. Characters and the story will stay with me for as long as it takes. I love Jay Asher, such an outstanding writer. Kudos.

And wow this fan-made book trailer was awesome it gave me goosebumps, I think Nina would be great as Hannah, what do you think?


12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, THIS BOOK. <3 I felt the exact same way as you! I was avoiding it because I read it during a time of happy, light, and fluffy novels and I wasn't so sure about this -- but after, I couldn't believe how long it took me to pick it up! It was so chilling, and I fell in love with Clay too!

    Beautiful review, Lalaine! I will second your recommendation wholeheartedly! And after that fan-made trailer, I'm sold on Nina as Hannah too! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words can't describe how wonderrful this novel was. Jay Asher . . . such an amazing author! Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAH wasn't this amazing! I loved it too and my god I've seen like 12873612763 different book covers of this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved this book so much! Absolutely beautiful! And yes, this trailer is beautiful! I did hear that the movie is coming out next year and that Selena Gomez is signed to play Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD. O.O I need to read this now! Wow, it sounds so intense and that trailer... wowow. *adds to to-read pile* AWESOME review. Can't wait to get my hands on it now. o:

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those stories that I know will be beautiful, touching, deep... and that I can't quite bring myself to read because I know I will cry. Still, your review makes me think that perhaps, I should brave the consequences...

    Thanks for sharing!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book about 6 months ago and liked it a lot. I was happy to read that they are making a movie of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh... wow? I didn't think of it, but this would be the PERFECT book to read as Audiobook, huh?

    Lalaine, your review is PERFECTION! I've had this sitting at home for an AGE, and I can't WAIT to read it now! Oh it sounds beautiful and haunting and heartbreaking, and perfect. I SERIOUSLY loved your review xx ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thank you for posting my video :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book and I think it should be read by every Jr. High and HS student. It should also be a part of every anti-bullying campaign, because it's so relateable. Kids don't want to hear adults preach, so they tune us out, but books like this get the message across in such a powerful way: "Even your smallest, seemingly innocuous actions (or inactions) have the power to cut deep and leave permanent, life-altering scars." Anyway, enough of my soapbox... Yes, I loved this book. You should give the audio a listen. It's brilliantly done.

    Karis @YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, I LOVED this book

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE Thirteen Reasons Why! It's the book that got me into reading YA. Before that I only read mystery novels. The first time I read this book, I didn't actually "read" it. I got the audio book by accident so I listened to that. And it was like I was actually listening to the tapes. It was so cool!
    Great review! <3

    ~ Hira @ Views & Reviews

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.