March 16, 2012

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood


Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word . . . especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1
Published February 7th 2012 by Razor Bill Penguin Australia (thank you for the review copy)

"I am wicked in many ways."
I really enjoyed this amazing book. The exuberant and vivid world that the author has created were just wonderful and the language used were rich and plushy. It will take you  from the era where marriage were arranged, and witchery "existed".  Characterization were quite good that its making them realistic, not only our protagonist Cate grabbed my attention but the fullness of the supporting characters. I really adore Tess, Marriane and Finn. OK, I liked Cate but she was sort of annoying sometimes, I mean, I don't understand why she couldn't just spill the beans and let her sisters know  the diary and the prophecy,  they're also included in the said prophecy after all. I don't know what's taking her so long to tell them, that the situation became a total mess. Other than that, she's totally relatable(I have a sister too that I would do murder for her lol), strong, cool and funny. The plot is intriguing, that it kept me up all night just to finish it. But my favorite part of this book is the romance, I like Paul too but I love Finn, eeeek, I love him so much I just do! And the kissing scene in the cupboard! With feathers, just beautiful. Best kissing scene eva made. The plot generally revolves around a prophecy(which kinda reminded me of Harry Potter) and the Cahill sisters.  There were some slow parts but other than that were heart-stopping moments.

Overall, its a very enjoyable read that I am dying to read the second installment, I'm really curious to see what happens next with the Cahill sisters, Finn<3 and the prophecy. Oh and by the way I hate the Brotherhood!

12 comments:

  1. AAAH I still haven't read this man!! WTF is up with ME!? >.< It sounds so cool and different. Plus a full cast with actual substance is awesome! Great review Lalala!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :))) you should read it soon Giselle! x

      Delete
  2. I'm absolutely LOVED Born Wicked! And Finn, of course. Who wouldn't adore him? I can understand why people may find Cate annoying at times but I loved her character - faults and all. Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry... Harry Potter? DID YOU JUST SAY HARRY POTTER? I wanted to read it before, but NOW? NO FAIR! *grabby hands* I'm so looking for it when I go shopping tomorrow :D

    Great review, Lalaine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS, FEATHERS <333 AND THAT FREAKING BEAUTIFUL KISS SCENE <33333 Eeeee! I LOVE FINN! hahaaa FANTASTIC review Lalaine!!!! Soo glad you enjoyed this one <3 I NEED MORE FINN! hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book but the lack of action in the middle of the book kinda bored me for a while. However I DO agree about Finn!! OMG FINN!!! I so want to read the sequel because the way this story ends is just killer!!!!
    great review!! =D Im really glad that you loved this book!!

    ^____^

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review, Lalaine. You are quite talented. I don't know why I keep waiting to read this one, probably because someone mentioned that there's a love triangle, but I should just get over it and pick it up.
    Again, beautiful review.
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to get into the story! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOA! HARRY POTTER?!?! Okay, to be honest, I've yet to read HP but I've heard nothing but FANTASTIC things about that series. So I'm very happy to hear that Born Wicked remind you of HP. Now, I seriously can't wait to read it. Fab review, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! SO glad you loved it. :DD I love prophesies and I'm super curious about the sister/brotherhood thing. Awesome review; I want to read this so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review ... I have been hesitating wither I should read this book or not but now that you seem to like it so much I will read it :D

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.