March 1, 2012

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Rayan  
  
Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth #2
Published March 9th 2010 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

 “Sometimes it’s the mistakes that turn out to be the
best parts of life,”

 This series is something I've never read before.Different narrators every each book that somehow interlink with the whole story. I thought it was very clever.

We heard Mary's on the first book, this time its Gabry. Mary's daughter. So basically the story skips to a new generation. Still as gruesome and more depressing but did not creep me out as much as the first one did. Plot twists was interesting.  But while I like the whole concept, It was hard for me to love Gabry here in this book, she's weak, sitting around feeling sorry for herself. But I did like her in the end eventually.

It was easy to like the characters around her though, especially Catcher!!! *sighs* this broken handsome boy. <3 The romance here has kind of resembled the first book but other than that it was all good. This book is about life and death,  love and heartbreaks. Well if you liked the first book, I'd still recommend this, it'll be worth it when you read the 3rd one! :)
Loved this quote:
I realize that life is risks. It’s acknowledging the past
but looking forward. It’s taking a chance that we will
make mistakes but believing that we all deserve to
be forgiven.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book! It's definitely different from all things dystopian. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review!! I haven't read this book but I really should!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's dystopian? Oh I didn't know that. Dystopian is my new favorite genre, so I'm going to check the first book out. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's official: I'm officially re-interested in this series! I thought the first book was okay but not overly amazing, but now I'm excited to meet Catcher and Gabry -- and I don't know how I missed the fact that Gabry was Mary's daughter too! That's kind of cool! :)

    Awesome review, Lalaine! <3 I'm definitely giving this book a shot now! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.