March 30, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Summary from Goodreads:
In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden #1
Expected publication: April 24th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★  

My Review:
Spoiler-free!(I hope)

"You don't dwell on what you've lost, you just move on."
 
Bloody hell, what an adventure. This is the first time I've read a book with a vampire protagonist, and boy did it shake me to my core. Thought-provoking and a pretty tight twisted plot with a very unusual heroine.

At first, I didnt like our protagonist Allison, but the layers were peeled away, and I began to love her, she's a badass. Period. OK you see, naturally most of us cheer for a protagonist/heroine who is the "good guy", yes? But here, expect something different(in a good way but rough), way different from her(Julia K.) Iron Fey series mind you. There is no magic to save our protag's ass here but her new found skills and her Katana, no handsome fae to melt your heart only rabids to rip it apart, no place like Never Never but ruins of what used to be beautiful place. No purely good heroine here, but a monster trying to cling to her humanity . And most of all, no glittering Vampires here, just a plain blood-suckers who cries blood! So are you ready to dare yourself and read this epic book?

The world that Julie Kagawa has built was really both terrifying and intriguing, I mean Vampires has taken over and they feed on people. Plot as usual was very original. The gory and kickass action packed scenes are spread apart sufficiently through out the whole story. The romance was amazing, though there wasn't much of Zeke and Allison romance here-it was still really really good and has a great impact in the story- I'm sure there will be so much of it on the second book. Characters are just brilliant! As always, Julie did an amazing job creating her characters. I loved everything about Allison, she has the guts and balls and everything, and the best thing about her is she is flawed which I didnt  have a hard time connecting. You'll also have characters that you will like, or hate that you wish they'd be offered for the rabids. *grins* What else can I say? This woman (Julie Kagawa) is just a very very talented writer.

"I wasn't thinking of his blood, rushing just below the skin. I wasn't thinking of his heartbeat or his touch or the pulse at his throat. Right now, all I was thinking of was Zeke."
 
And ofcourse, I did have a teary moments here too, especially the ending part. It was so sad but it was freaking hopeful and it gave me goosebumps! Allison is just a freaking wicked heroine! I want more of her and Zeke!
 
A silent road stretched before me, damp with rain and littered with cars. As I watched, pale figures began to slip through the trees or claw their way out of the earth. Rabids edged onto the pavement, filling the road, their hisses and snarls rising into the air. Their empty white eyes blazed with madness and Hunger, and they began to sprint forward . Reaching back, I drew my bladem feeling it rasp free, gleaming as it came into the light. Looking up at the approaching rabids, I smiled.

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Lalaine!!!!!!!! This is the firect review I've read for TIR and I'm SOOOOO EXCITED! EEK! It sounds amazing, and I never even thought of the obvious flipside: that the protagonist kind of is the bad guy... wow. AMAZING. So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!!! I have to get this book ,,, Glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalaine, your review is PERFECTION<3 Completely agree with EVERYTHING you said here! (well...apart from the ending part since I'm not up to there yet, but right now, my heart's already breaking soo...I think I might shed a tear or two ;S)
    It actually took me a while to get into the story, so I guess, in a way, I wasn't too impressed with Allison at first as well! But really, she's got to be one of my favourite protags EVER after all she's gone through and all she's willing to do. YESS! I LOVED HER AND ZEKE<33333 Seriously, ONE OF MY FAVOURITE COUPLES EVER NOW! Goshhh...I just freaking LOVE EVERYTHING about this book! Characters, world-building, plot, everything's SUPERB! So glad you enjoyed this<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. My review for this one is actually scheduled for today, too, but I just can't stop reading other reviews for THE IMMORTAL RULES - and whenever I read one of someone who loved it as much as I did, I'm happy. Cannot wait for the second book of this series - Julie Kagawa has seriously become one of my favorite authors! I don't think there's anything she couldn't write. :D

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super excited to get into this one soon! I've seriously only heard positive things! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's EXACTLY it! This book is so different from The Iron Fey series that you really can't compare them unless you want to label them as opposites haha -- but I loved it anyways! x) I can definitely get how you wouldn't connect with Allison at first. I didn't either (although I DID admire her) but as soon as she started to show how awesome she could be, I loved her completely! :)

    Awesome review, Lalaine! You've got this review on the target! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaaa...I am absolutely dying to read this book, Lalaine! <3 I absolutely love The Iron Fey series so I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this one! Awesome review! <3 Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review!

    I finished this book last week, but haven't been able to get my thoughts into a review. I really did enjoy it though and I loved Zeke!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review!! I requested this one on netgalley so hopefully I will receive it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I was never sure if I liked Kagawa's writing, but I will give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *freaks out* That is all. -_-" I don't know whether I love your reviews or hate it. Think it's both. Another persuading and.... *googles an appropriate adjective* *fails* [great] review.Love ya. : > ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Immortal Rules is excellent. Kagawa has an original take on vampire fiction. This is a story about right and wrong, and that small grey area in between. It's about loyalty. It's about choices. It's about doing what needs to be done even when it's not easy. It's thought provoking and emotional. It's full of multidimensional characters with a whole lot of personality and color. It's set in a ruthless world packed with dangers - and Kagawa brings it all into perfect focus with her wonderful storytelling. If you think vampires are old, stale, totally yesterday - you need to read this. It's a huge refresher and a compelling read. I'd recommend it for any paranormal fan out there. I'll definitely be reading some more from Ms. Kagawa in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.