March 20, 2012

Torn by Cat Clarke



Four girls. One dead body. A whole lot of guilt.

Alice King isn’t expecting the holiday of a lifetime when she sets off with her classmates on a trip to the Scottish wilderness, but she’s not exactly prepared for an experience beyond her darkest nightmares…

Alice and her best friend Cass are stuck in a cabin with Polly, the social outcast, and Rae, the moody emo-girl. Then there’s Tara – queen of mean. Powerful, beautiful and cruel, she likes nothing better than putting people down.

Cass decides it’s time to teach Tara a lesson she’ll never forget. And so begins a series of events that will change the lives of these girls forever...

A compelling story of guilty secrets, troubled friendship and burgeoning love.

Published December 22nd 2011 by Quercus______________________________
My Rating: ★ ★ ★
This is the real way a friendship ends. Not with some huge screaming row, but with a gradual withdrawal. You’d think it would be less painful this way.
I was blown away! Don't you just love it when you finally read the book you've been most anticipating turned out to be surprisingly good? I totally loved it! It's a disturbing , thought-provoking, both character and plot driven and absolutely a heartbreaking story, no doubt about it! But first, that cover, isn't that gorgeous? Isn't it awesome when the cover portrays the character in your book?  
"My favourite is the one where she’s looking over her shoulder at the camera. Her hair is windswept and glossy. The picture looks completely spontaneous – like the photographer called her name and just snapped away. Knowing Tara, she probably planned it that way."
The story really drew me in, at first It was okay, little bit of building characters here and there, but after a short while, I could not stop reading.  I really wanted to know how it will turn out, what  happens next.  I enjoyed reading Alice King's point of view. She is such a humorous and delineate character. I liked how realistic she could be, I found myself thinking what would I do if it was me in her shoes. Her situation was so frustrating I could only cry "NO NO NO!". Ahh and what good is a mystery if there is no romance on the side in this tragic story? I loved Jack! Geez, I know! Another Jack in my list! He's hot and he can sing! lol but seriously I loved him
"You don't deserve Jack.
You don't deserve to sleep.
You don't deserve to live."
The descriptive elements were effective, I could picture it in my mind, I had some cringing, swoon-worthy and sad moments. A gripping plot in a murder mystery that evokes an edgy atmosphere. Though you might think that the mood would be dark and gloomy, not really. It was amusing but still manages to keep the creepy factor. As the shocking story unfolds, I was on the edge of my seat. A good mix of contemporary and a ghost story.

BUT, but the ending! I just cant believe it has to end that way! I just cant! *squeezes eyes shut* I DEMAND a continuation Cat Clarke!!!

Overall, I loved it. And this is the first book Ive read from Cat Clarke, definitely not the last.


Her brain is like a filing cabinet – everything neatly stored in categories. My brain is more like soup – everything all blended and mushed together.
Sorry guys didn't know my review would be this long! :)))

9 comments:

  1. Omg I SO want to read Cat's books but I can't find em in Canada like WTH!? I loved your review chicky it sounds awesome!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Isn't it awesome when the cover portrays the character in your book?" <-- It is!! I find that a lot of the time, the person on the cover never matches the image of the character I have (because I'm pretty picky with that haha) so I'm glad that this isn't the case here! :) Plus, you can't go wrong with a fantastic murder mystery!

    Really awesome review, Lalaine! I love it when you discover an awesome author and vow to read all future books from them! Now I just HAVE to check Cat Clarke out! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Entangled, Cat Clake's debut. It was one of my favourites from last year. I HAVE to read Torn; it is super high on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh ohh! o: That ending scares me! BUT you make me seriously curious about it. I want to read it so bad. :o Time to go book-stalk again, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how personal your review was, the "No, No, No" really drew me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo I actually didn't heard a lot about this book. But after reading your review, I'm going to have to add it to my TBR. Thanks for the review, Lalaine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never actually heard of this book before so thanks for putting it on my radar :) I love your review! :) +new follower :)

    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this book, but I've added it to my TBR now. It sounds fantastic! Great review!

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when a book just completely surprises me! I wasn't expecting much from this book. It had been gathering dust on my TBR-pile for ages, and I'm so glad I finally picked it up - I really enjoyed Torn!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.