March 14, 2012

WHEN THE SEA IS RISING RED by Cat Hellisen






After seventeen-year-old Felicita’s dearest friend, Ilven, kills herself to escape an arranged marriage, Felicita chooses freedom over privilege. She fakes her own death and leaves her sheltered life as one of Pelimburg’s magical elite behind. Living in the slums, scrubbing dishes for a living, she falls for charismatic Dash while also becoming fascinated with vampire Jannik. Then something shocking washes up on the beach: Ilven's death has called out of the sea a dangerous, wild magic. Felicita must decide whether her loyalties lie with the family she abandoned . . . or with those who would twist this dark power to destroy Pelimburg's caste system, and the whole city along with it.  

When The Sea Is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen
Published February 28th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)____________ ____
My Rating: ★ ★ ★
 The sea is rising, one two three,
What will that get for Ivy and me?
Pelim House gave us bones.
Pelim House gave us stones.
When the sea is rising red,
All of Pelim will drop dead.

Ingenious, gritty, thought-provoking and an enchanting dark fantasy with a very unusual plot that I couldn't put it down. The historical feel of the settings and the enticingly crafted characters from the myth and supernaturals were riveting and refreshing. And FYI, this is not all about vampires but rather vampires are in it.  The worldbuilding was so fascinating, writing style was lyrical, language used were beautiful and the characters were remarkable.  A whole new story of dark magic, striving, revenge and betrayal.

Felicita was such a very strong and intriguing character, I watched her grow and struggle to her new life without the extravagant and comfortable life she once had in House Lammer. She will meet people she never thought she would be acquainted with,  a sapid bat-vampire- Jannik and a charming Hob, Dash along the way. Plot and characters intertwined and will be unraveled eventually, revealing great pain, a dark pasts, and a wicked revenge.
“In the end, we make our choices on our own. And no matter how stupid they are, we have to live—or die—with what we’ve done.
Sometimes choosing our moment of death is the only freedom we have left.”
The boggert blinks, and for an instant I see Ilven’s blue eyes, a flash of summer.
“And I’ve no right to try to save you from that.”

A story like this is rarely seen in our books we normally read these days, therefore I think that this book is not for everybody but if you are up for something bold, darker, different and complex, then I think you'd like to try this one, there is a romance here ofcourse but it didn't over power the story which I'm fine with, for it can be tiring at times, right? Overall, I did really like it and enjoyed this wicked book. An amazing debut.

12 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm really looking forward to this book since the blurb sounds amazing and the cover is so beautiful and haunting. Thanks for sharing! I'm even more eager to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd noticed this at one point on a friend's blog and really wanted it, but then promptly forgot all about it. Thanks so much for the reminder!
    Great review. :)
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe this book has been staying off my radar for so long -- where have you been, book? x) I love how you said that this wasn't a book about vampires, but a book with vampires in it. (And as much as I love a good romance, it's a nice change not to have that as the overpowering focus!) I can already tell this is going to be a different, darker, and more complex book -- which I love!! :)

    Amazing review, Lalaine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAH I love how unusual this sounds I've had my eye on it for a while I really want to pick it up. Lovely review Lalaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! This book sounds really interesting and I will be sure to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I have this book and I have been hoping to find time to read it (I'm SO behind on my ARCs right now that I'm having an impossible time getting to the new releases), but life isn't leaving me a lot of time for reading! I follow Cat Hellisen on twitter and I love her snarky, sarcastic, profanity-riddled commentary. I bet her writing is fantastic. Thanks for the great review! I'm definitely bumping this up on my TBR!

    Karis @YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been eying this book for a while now :) I think I even have it on my Kindle! I had no idea it was about Vampires (or rather a book that has Vampires in it, like you said), for whatever reason I was convinced it was about mermaids :P Well, all the more reasons to get to it asap! Thanks for your great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover and the name catched my attention, so I was keeping an eye open for this. And, wow. Dark, angsty, bold, different? You've got me!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEeeee Oh my! This one sounds FANTASTIC! And the aspect of the book not being about vampires but vampires being in the book is very cool, very different from other books. Wonderful review, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowww, you have me super intrigued now! I'm really glad I usually prefer the darker and different stuff. So glad you enjoyed it and it definitely sounds like a great debut. Love the sound of it!! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your review. Currently reading this book and am excited to continue having read your review of it. Seems like some people don't like it. I have mixed feelings about it, so there there is still hope that it will continue to turn out into a good novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds pretty amazing! I haven't heard about it before.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.