March 21, 2012

A Witch In Winter by Ruth Warburton



Anna Winterson doesn't know she's a witch and would probably mock you for believing in magic, but after moving to the small town of Winter with her father, she learns more than she ever wanted to about power. When Anna meets Seth, she is smitten, but when she enchants him to love her, she unwittingly amplifies a deadly conflict between two witch clans and splits her own heart in two. She wants to love Seth, to let him love her – but if it is her magic that's controlling his passion, then she is as monstrous as the witch clan who are trying to use her amazing powers for their own gain.

Although a perfect fit for the paranormal romance genre, A WITCH IN WINTER avoids fangs, excessive body hair and submissive female leads, and tells the heart-wrenching story of a couple meant to be together, but being forced apart. Seth is utterly irresistible and Anna is an empowered, proactive young woman with unimaginable magic inside her. This is fast-paced, sensuous writing with believable incantations inspired by Warburton's research into witchcraft legend and old English.



 Published January 2012 by Hodder Children's Books    
My Rating: ★ ★ ★

I  like witch stories, and this book is one of those unique witch stories out there. But I dont love nor hate this book, just so-so. I did like the first half though not much with the last half. Ok so I have an issue with this book. Some of the dialogues were ridiculous. They always say their names like " Anna you saved me" "Anna, Anna", ugh. Anyway, the overall plot is promising and unique. Characters were well-developed, Anna was very likeable and flawed. And Seth, *sighs* I really like his intense and bad-boy personality. I do think they are so good together. I just wish there were some more depths on how Seth fell in love with her.

If only not for some unnatural dialogues, I would have really really liked this book. It is a dark and mysterious story that was gripping and thought-provoking. The author was very creative about the witchery thing here. This book reminded me of WitchCraft, not entirely the whole plot, but the spells and dark magic.. If you have watch this movie already you will know what I mean. Will definitely look out for the second book, see how it goes!

Overall, did enjoy it, but werent blown away like that. Anyway this is only my honest opinion, Im sure most of you will like this or even love this book, so Id say you try it.

11 comments:

  1. Nice review! I absolutely LOVED this book and glad to hear you still enjoyed it despite a couple of little things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Unnatural dialogue is always a problem, nothing yanks you out of a story faster than a character saying something that doesn't even come close to resembling easy, natural conversation. Still, it sounds like Seth is an enjoyable bad-boy, and sometimes that's enough for me while reading! Thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Thanks for pointing out the weird dialogue... Sometimes I don't mind, if the story's really good, but I always prefer to go in prepared!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love witch stories so I'm very excited about this one. Glad you enjoyed it. I think the love spell aspect is going to be it's best quality.

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a pretty okay book despite the unnatural dialogue. Fab review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a HUGE witch fan too, so it's too bad that this one didn't completely blow you away! I can be very picking with the way books are written sometimes LOL so the dialogue thing might bug me a bit as well. x) But it still sounds like such a fantastic read! I already love the magical aspect and Seth -- because who doesn't love those bad-boy types?? ;)

    Awesome honest review, Lalaine! :) <3 I'm really excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book last month and i loved it so much ... and i have a strong feeling it will be a good series ... and I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. check my REVIEW of this book: http://lillysbookisland.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-witch-in-winter-by-ruth.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read a lot of witch books, so I'm going to put this one for another time. It's a bummer it was just an okay read for you. Hope your next read is better. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm that sucks you are a bit so-so about it :/ I had high hopes for it! I'm just way too curious. I really don't like ridiculous dialogs so that makes me a bit hesitant, but I'll probably end up checking it out anyway. o: I'm intrigued, but my desperation was a bit toned down, lol. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A WITCH IN WINTER was simply sublime. It was a fast-paced, well-written, wonderful story. Very fluid in it's motion. I picked it up at 12 noon yesterday and was finished within the day. I was just so hooked I found it impossible to put down.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.