April 15, 2012

Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #1) by Bethany Griffin


Synopsis from Goodreads:
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.
Goodreads
Series: Masque of the Red Death #1
Expected publication: April 24th 2012 by Greenwillow Books/ HarperCollins (thank you!)
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ 


So freaking sad when this book ended! I just want more. I loved this book and its totally one of the great books I've read this year.

No. Scratch that.

This is one of the great books I have ever read.

 Dark and gritty. Masque of the Red Death has a very interesting setting, as messed up and scary as it was, I had a strong desire to be there and join their adventure.  I also want to relive that steampunk feel again. I loved the idea of masquerades, masks, glitters and corsets , its just pretty mysterious, sexy and alluring.

I am greatly fond of Bethany's writing, it's strikingly fabulous. The prose has such great details that I could visualize it. She also knows how to make her readers care for the characters, and boy did I care so much. The story is on a first-narrative mode so I thoroughly enjoyed reading Araby's thoughts. I totally connected to her, especially on emotional level, yes I do, because I don't know what I'll do if that happens to me too. I felt her pain, her desperation. I was captivated by her tragic and complicated personality. She is such a great leading character as flawed as she could be. Aside from Araby, the rest of the characters were great. And ofcourse, boys! Where's the fun without these hot, confusing boys? Damn! I am a sucker for romance,  that can lift me off my feet and leave some big grin on my face. So we have two boys here, at first I was all for Will- sweet charming guy with tattoo- ( I swear Will name is just so effing adorable that I would name my first born son Will! ) but it kind of shifted in the end and I was all over Elliot- an arrogant, noble and passionate guy- but this is a series so I cant really tell which team I am at the moment so we will see. The author is crafty with the love triangle here, I admit that I enjoy the nature of love triangles, it makes the story interesting, wondering who is who and feeling frustrated because sometimes its not easy to choose who to root for.
The torture!

There are plenty of twists and turns to keep you gripped. The plot thickens throughout the story. The idea of contagion and Red Death spreading in the air is just terrifying with only a mask to protect you. I was reading this book with fervor. I loved the ending, it made me feel satisfied but scared at the same time, I cant wait to read the second book, how am I going to wait that long? Aaaarrgghh! *nailbites*

 Overall, what do you think? Ofcourse I FREAKING LOVED IT. So00 many stories like this  (dystopian/post-apocalyptic) out in the market these days so I'm really happy to have found this amazing book in a very crowded genre.

You have to remember that there are reasons to live, and that at least a few people are decent, and that the world is worthwhile some of the time okay?
Time will temper the hurt

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really great book! Great review! I'm really looking forward to this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I'm so glad you liked this book! It's amazing isn't it!? Love love love it!! If you want to check out my review follow this link: http://emilyscrammedbookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/04/review-masque-of-red-death.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAA,I seriously can't wait to read this book! It sounds AMAZING. Awesome review, Lalaine! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to read this book now! It sounds awesome! Thanks for your review, it was great!

    -Marybeth P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored this author too! Glad you loved this book as well :)
    Live To Read ~Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you loved this one, Lalaine! I've been dying to read this for months! And now your review made me want to read it even more! I like it when the author's writing is beautiful - makes it easier to dive into the story. I like first POVs too, makes me experience the character's life. ;) And who is Will?? Need to find that out for myself! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound interesting ... can't wait to read it ... glad you like it ... Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic! I do like dystopian stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that you love this book, Lalaine! <3 I'm going to read my copy soon too, and I've been kind of nervous and kind of excited because of how many mixed reviews there are -- people who were blown away and people who weren't as impressed -- but I'm glad that you're a part of the positive side! That makes me all the more excited to start it! :)

    Amazing review, Lalaine! I can't wait to finish this soon! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you loved Masque too! It's terrific. I don't normally like dystopians as much as I liked Masque. It was one of the best ones I've ever read. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :D Great review!

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm now adding this to my TBR list, great review you've talked me into it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amaaazing review! I really enjoy the way you write somehow :D and I'm now even more excited to read this one...at least it will be out REALLY soon! And I love love triangles too, even though they drive me crazy most of the time! I also didn't know that it was a book series :O so relieved now, I don't like standalones that much.

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.