April 11, 2012

Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar


Synopsis from Goodreads:
Imagine there is someone you like so much that just thinking about them leaves you desperate and reckless. You crave them in a way that's not rational, not right, and you're becoming somebody you don't recognise, and certainly don't respect, but you don't even care.

And this person you like is unattainable. Except for one thing...

He lives downstairs.

Abbie has three obsessions. Art. The ocean. And Kane.

But since Kane's been back, he's changed. There's a darkness shadowing him that only Abbie can see. And it wants her in its world.

A gothic story about the very dark things that feed the creative process.
Night Beach by Kristy Eagar
Expected publication: April 26th 2012 by Penguin Books Australia (thank you)
 My Rating: ★ ★

 Kane. Always Kane.
I cant really write a review about this without giving some away so if you would like to continue then go ahead and read at your own risk. :p It's more of characters review anyway.

This book started really good for me, but as I began to know Abbie deeper, the more I disliked her, well except her fondness for the poor dog. OK, I don't know if it was Abbie who's creepy or the scenes but I guess its both. Don't get me wrong, I like reading unusual, strange, creepy, and weird stories, but the protagonist just didn't work out for me. I know, I know this is about her obsessions, so I don't blame anyone, I should have known. It was annoying, this obsession, I don't know what she's seen on Kane but really I kind of think she's too dumb and too strange. She feels lonely but I think thats what she wanted, I guess. But I liked her sometimes, she made me snorts with her comments.

BUT, although I didn't like Abbie that much, and Kane whoever he is(that's because I dont wanna know him and also the lack of depth of his character did not help), it would have been great if it was Hollywood instead of Kane, he freaking killed the dog although not on purpose but It really made me sick. Like I've said I loved dogs, yes I know we cannot really avoid them being in one of those stories/books we read but that "fire" and "popping sound" thing description are just giving me a heart attack, that poor poor dog :(. They should have just left that part out, it did make me cringe. Anyway, I couldn't even picture Kane in my head, he annoys me because I tried to like Abbie but when its about Kane that's when I want to scream. I liked Hollywood and Pinty(even if it's invisible). And the rest of the supporting characters.

I really liked the writing style of Kirsty Eagar though, it's one of the things that kept me from putting this book down, it was unique and very engaging. I loved the suspenseful and intense parts too. You wouldn't be disappointed with that, it really gave me the creeps and goosebumps all over. The plot? hmmm, it could have been pretty good,  I must have been really tired from work when I read this but I just couldn't connect all the things that was happening with Kane to Abbie. And Abbie to her relics. I really want to know, if any one of you have read this please tell me. I guess I need to re read this one more time, maybe. But I am so sure that I would dislike Abbie all over again. For some reason, I am irritated with a main characters being too strange or a nutcase or just simply a damsel-in-distress , this book reminded me of Frost by Marianna Baer, ugh I hated that protag there.

Quotes:
"This is what I love about life. The UP. You can be completely down and out, and in the next you feel like you're flying, for no reason at all."
You cant rely on anybody being around for you, because things change.
Overall, an okay read for me, but could have been a lot better. Anyway, it's only my opinion, please do not let my review stop you from reading this book. Some really did enjoy this. If you like dark and mysterious and eerie story then I suggest that you read it first and see how you go.  It has some great details that I am sure you'd enjoy too. 


Hopefully, Im making sense up there. Lol, if not then just ignore me. :) Had a long day so Good night guys. x

7 comments:

  1. Awwww...sad that you didn't quite enjoy it but I am glad to hear that Kirsty Eagar's writing is engaging and good! I will definitely read the book and see for myself what it's like!

    Awesome review, Lalaine! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...it's a pity you weren't quite like the characters :S I'm actually really confused about the whole plot...it sounds like the entire plot just centres around Kane :/ Ahh well...I hope I'll like this a little more! But thank you for your honest thoughts<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm..thanks for the honest review. I know exactly what you mean as far as it having the potential to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Lalaine, I'm sorry you didn't love this one... I know how hard it is to write a review for a book you didn't love. Thanks for the honest review, and I hope the next read is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, sorry you didn't like it! I've been reading amazing reviews on this one - I guess it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of book. I don't blame you. And yes the dog killing is..sick. :S. Great honest review though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound confusing! I don't think I'd like this book... and I'm sorry it left that bittersweet feeling of could have been better!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirsty just sent me this book and I'm so excited to read it. I remember reading a review for it on Readventurer, and being a bit worried I might have a hard time following it, but your review made me feel more confident that the story might not be lost on me after all.

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.