April 30, 2012

The Repossession by Sam Hawksmoor


34 kids missing. Vanished without a trace.

Believing she is possessed, Genie Magee's mother has imprisoned her all summer encouraged by the sinister Reverend Schneider. Beautiful Rian, love of her life, sets her free, and their escape washes them up at Marshall's remote farmhouse downriver. But why are there newspaper clippings of the missing kids pinned to Marshall's bathroom wall? And should they believe his stories about the experiments at the Fortress, an underground research station nearby?

Genie meets Denis. Missing two years now, but hasn't grown an inch. Rian is haunted by Renée, who insists she's not actually dead. Soon they discover the terrible truth about Reverend Schneider and worse, Genie is next ... and Rian can't do a thing to prevent it.

The Repossession is just the beginning.


Goodreads
499 pages
Series: Not yet available
Published March 1st 2012 by Hodder Children's Books

The concept of this intriguing book will surely evokes interest to sci-fi thriller fans. And is also tinge with paranormal. But while its unbelievably horrifying, I was also enthralled by this book. The mystery about kids missing in a small town and was never found again was disturbing , and to top it off, they were being used as a lab rats for an experiment called "teleportation". Sounds cool? Oh yeah, wait till the kid are about to be transported, while they explode as in literally explode into bits or just showed up someplace  legs tangled up, bodies inside-out, gross. Not cool anymore eh? What is happening to this small town with a terrible secret called Spurlake? A town that look up to an evil Reverend. Oh how I hate him!

  What if she just exploded? At least that would be
    inconvenient and they’d have to scrape her off the walls.
    If I’m going to die, God, at least make it horrible and
    messy, like that boy before, make it so gross they feel sick.
    It’s the least you can do.
    Two seconds.
    Please God, let me be with friends and not in limbo or
    trapped in a machine. Please send Reverend Schneider to
    a special hell when he dies. At least promise me that. It’s
    all I ask.
    One second.

One of the things I enjoyed about this book was that it is on a third-person narrative, so basically, I was able to read the thoughts and feelings of other characters as well, not limited to one. It gives the readers a better picture of the whole story. As the story unfolds, the characters and events will intertwine that gives the plot an exciting and gripping twist. The impression this book gave me was disturbingly realistic. Who knows what scientists can do nowadays?

The author created a wonderful set of characters, I found myself invested in them, especially in Genie and RIan's relationship. Genie is great, she's weird but that makes her really likeable and interesting. The fact that she was being abused and locked up in her room by her own mother was so infuriating and I felt for her. And also, I loved loved  Rian, Genie's boyfriend, ahh he is just perfect and so real. Oh man, the romance is so cute and well developed, they are so good together. Moucher the dog and the pig are so adorable.

This book was also emotional for me, the harrowing story of the kids being experimented like rats are just insane. The ending left me hanging! OMG. I need the second book NOW!
 Fate makes plans for you and never consults.

If you are a fan of Unwind by Neal Shusterman, I think you will also enjoy this one.

11 comments:

  1. I was on the fence whether to read this book or not . . . but considering your amazing review . . . I would probably have to consider paying this book more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lab rats? Teleportation? This is getting strangely interesting. Ate's convincing powers are on the move again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover for this one is so creepy-cool! And with a title called The Repossession, I can only GUESS that it'd be thrilling so you reconfirmed that for me :) This book wasn't really on my radar before now because I haven't heard much about it, but I LOVED Unwind by Neal Shusterman so now I'll definitely be paying more attention to this!

    Awesome review, Lalaine! <3 I sure wouldn't want to be one of those kids being experimented on haha... x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo This one sounds very intriguing. It's my first time hearing bout it, and I really want to check it out. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been really unsure whether I want to read this one or not for quite a while now, but review makes me want to get a copy and find out what I'd think about it. :D Thanks for sharing!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound intense! That first passage you quoted is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one almost eight months ago now, and I'm still touched by the experiments and the relationships between the characters. I still remember that feeling of being watched constantly while reading about Spurlake. I simply loved it, and I hope the next title is out soon!

    Great review, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this one! I read it right around the release date and I was very surprised by the intensity and the well-developed charactres. I enjoy small town atmospheres and i think that part was done excellently. I think book 2 is coming out either in August or in October. Yay!
    Lovely review, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :o How have I missed this?! It sounds FANTASTIC. And creepy. Andandand I need it. *runstobuy* Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg this sounds SO good and right up my alley! Horrifying and sci fi elements!? Why haven't I looked into this book before? i saw the cover but never really checked it out. Wonderful review, doll! I think I'm gonna order this later! Hhaa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab review! This is one of my favourite of the last six months. Love the setting of Spurlake and find the Reverend and Genie's mother to be truly vile. Genie and Rian rock, obviously!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.