April 2, 2012

The Water Wars by Cameron Stratcher



Synopsis from Goodreads:
Welcome to a future where water is more precious than gold or oil-and worth killing for

Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget.
The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher
Published January 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire  
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ⅟2

"Everything fell apart. That was the only constant."

I enjoyed reading this book, although I think it would greatly appeal to young ages (middle school ages 13-15yo).  It was really an interesting, realistic post-apocalyptic novel and will have you thinking that water is everything. Water Wars is a fast-paced story, message-wise and the premise is intriguing. 

A young girl named Vera and her brother Will <3 (dont you just loved that name?) came to visit their friend Kai in his apartment only to find Kai's bodyguard's dead body lying on the floor, and that Kai was nowhere, he's been kidnapped, by who? they don't know, but they are yet to find out.. You see Kai has a gift, he can find water and his father drills for it. Vera and her brother Will decided to find and rescue Kai, but will they be able to? 

The author created a world that is crazy and scary, "the world had run out of water. And countries were divided and wars erupted along their borders." People will kill for water. And boy did this book made me effin thirsty while reading it! ;) The only issues I have are the character development, don't get me wrong they are all likeable especially Vera I had some snorting moments with her, but there wasn't enough, or lacking a bit of depth to them, most certainly emotional. And the ending was a bit rushed, but otherwise a quick and interesting read. Also, Canada is one of the bad guys here. But I love Canada, I got couple of friends who lives there <3. And oh that cover is gorgeous isn't it? That water in her eye like lashes, beautiful, and her chapped lips was so like Vera. I'd give another half star for that cover and 3 for the whole lot since its  target are for young readers, I think they would really appreciate this one.

"Pirates don't steal." said Ulysses. "We make offers people can't refuse."
"What does that mean?" I asked.
"It means they steal," said Will.
Ulysses smiled.

13 comments:

  1. This book has been sitting in my to-read list for a while. Reading this post reminds me of it.

    Too bad it only got 3 and a half stars from you. I'd still read it though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should, because Im almost 30, I dont think this kind of story is what I would really love, but like yes. I thought it was good. Im sure young readers will enjoy this book!x

      Delete
  2. Haha, I can totally imagine you being thirsty while reading this! It's odd that I never noticed this one before, especialy considering that it's been out for a while now. I'll defintiely check it out.
    Great review!

    Btw, I hope you're liking Repossession. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh I do Maja, thanks. I cant wait to dive into it again! x

      Delete
  3. Great review! This book sounds interesting so I will have to check it out..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one but I'll definitely add it to my list since I'm doing the Dystopian challenge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found myself dying of thirst with this one too! I just wanted to down a bottle of water the whole time I was reading:) I agree with you on the character development, that was an issue I had as well. I definitely wanted to connect to all of them a bit more! Fabulous review:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a book I might enjoy, will be a little wary though! Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! I have a theory that all YA boys named Will are made of awesome -- I haven't been proven wrong once so farm, so I'm really excited to add this one to the list :) And as a proud Canadian, I LOLed at the fact that we play the bad guys in this book! If that's not reason enough to want to read this book, I don't know what is! x)

    Amazing review, Lalaine! I think I'm probably in the target audience for this one too, so that's a plus! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Lalaine! That cover is so GORGEOUS! Hahaha, I also love the name 'Will', partly because I AM TEAM WILL from Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices! I haven't heard of this book before but the book looks awesome! I need to add this to my TBR! :)

    Fantastic review, Lalaine! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! This books is very intriguing. I've not heard about this book. It is the first review i read for it. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.