May 9, 2012

Hemlock (Hemlock #1) by Kathleen Peacock

 Synopsis from Goodreads:
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.
Goodreads
Series: Hemlock #1
Published May 8th 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books (Thank you)


You can't lose what you never had.
Damn! This book, this book, this book .. OK soooo I am a bit speechless right now. I am lost for words. So excuse me while I scoop up my scattered brains on the floor and off the wall. Absolutely my favorite this year. This book was  a real surprise to me. It really lived up to those great reviews I've been seeing lately and I am too effing happy that I want to give myself a big hug for freaking reading HEMLOCK. I just couldn't put this book down. A total page-turner. The very first sentence already had me hooked.
first sentence:
 Blood ran down my hands in thin rivers.
Tell my why wouldn't you be intrigued with that line? Like really. When I saw that, I already knew this is going to be a dark and twisted ride!

The book gripped me and was lost in the story almost as if I was there in this town called Hemlock. The intense mystery had me guessing who is who. The descriptive elements were excellent, details so vivid that I could almost taste it, feel it or even hear it. Plotwise, as far as I'm concerned, is very dark and original, quite refreshing. A horrifying virus called Lupin Syndrome is spreading across the country, which an infected human will obviously turn into a werewolf, or worse, a bloodlust one. Then Mackenzie's besftriend Amy was murdered by a werewolf, from here the story takes off. There were heart-pounding moments, that it had me on the edge of my seat.

The author did a great job in creating a diverse characters.  Mackenzie is a very realistic and entertaining character. Which is a big deal for me, I have connected to her so much and truly cared for her. So now we go to Jason, I may be weird but dude, I have a soft spot for broken men (Jace, William and Truman). Jason's character is really deep and intoxicating. And last but not the least, Kylie. Kylie is a very intense character, sensible and freaking romantic guy. And..  and... and... See why I think Mac is such a lucky bitch? (I loved her though) . aarrgh I think you really just have to read this book, its absolutely fantastic.

This is great for dystopian paranormal fantasy lovers. The writing style of the author is just very very addicting, and Kathleen Peacock you are fab!<3 A moving and thrilling story of secrets, betrayal, friendship and love. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. Can hardly wait for the second book!

 People lied. That's just what they did.
 "If he's dead, I'll never forgive you." I suddenly felt cold and frail and horrible numb.
Jason's reply was so soft that I almost missed it." I wont forgive myself, either."

19 comments:

  1. Why,Ate, why do you always review books so persuasively???!! I hazz so many things to do still but..gahhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review aha! :) That first sentence sounds amazing, I really need to read this book now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my godddd...i want to read this so bad. I wasn't even a fan of werewolf books until recently...your review definitely made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AJFHDHGA! I am SOOOO hanging out to read this one! And even more now! I love paranormal--it's what got me in love with reading, and this sounds AMAZING! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEEEEEE LALAINE! I AM SO DYING TO READ THIS BOOK. I've heard great things about Hemlock but after reading your review, I want to read this book SO BADLY. And not to mention the fact that the cover is GORGEOUS!

    Awesome review, Lalaine! <3 So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY so happy you loved this too this is one of my fav reads this year! And you're right the characters and great I loved Mackenzie she's strong and so realistic. I also loved how the romance was played out and the fact in never downright took center stage! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh great! It sounds like you really loved this and that's fantastic :D I was hoping that this one would be as good as it looks! Thanks for sharing. I really need to pick this one up!

    Stephanie
    Latest Post: From the Review Pile (1)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I fell for it! How could I not, with that review! Deep characters and an original take on werewolves equals I need to try it. So, there it is: added to my TBR!

    I just hope I'll get to it sooner rather than later... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, YOUR REVIEW HAS CONVINCED ME! I was on the fence about reading this book because I'm already maxed out for my monthly book spendings thanks to Insurgent and city of Lost Souls, but I've been wanting to read this book for so long... so reading that you loved it so much has definitely made it cross the line to a buy-worthy book for me! :) I have a soft spot for broken men too, so I know that Jace will be a boy I'm going to love! x)

    Absolutely amazing review, Lalaine! I'm so happy that I read your review -- now I'm even more excited to pick this up! :') <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, yet another review making me crazy to read this one! Everyone seems to adore it. Hopefully soon I can find out what all the fuss is about. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're making me insanely jealous of Mac. Stop making her guys sound so drool-worthy *sobs* I can't wait to see what kind of werewolf story Kathleen writes! I haven't read too many and from all of the reviews I've read, I can expect something unique ;) Fantastic review! Love this blog. New follower!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard such fabulous things about this book, and the cover is amazing! I didn't know it was about a virus, though, those are always my favorite stories. I have to get my hands on a copy asap.
    awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! I'm SO glad you loved it toooo. Seriously, I JUST finished it today and basically didn't put it down ONCE after I had picked it up. It really is a page turner and I loved everything! I didn't realize how much I've missed the paranormal books until Hemlock took me by surprise. It's FANTASTIC. *nods* As is your review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weeee I loved Hemlock too! Great review! I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait for the sequel. :)

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just reserved this book from B&N b/c of this review!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Asking questions are in fact nice thing if you are not understanding
    something completely, but this piece of writing offers fastidious understanding even.
    Also visit my web blog Http://buddy-mash.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's up, yes this post is actually good and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.
    Also visit my web page ... aaliyah quotes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know whether it's just me or if everybody
    else experiencing problems with your blog. It seems like some of the written text on your content are running off the screen.

    Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if
    this is happening to them as well? This may be a problem with my browser
    because I've had this happen before. Thanks
    Feel free to surf my weblog ... abc general hospital soap opera digest

    ReplyDelete
  19. I for all time emailed this webpage post page to all my associates,
    as if like to read it next my friends will too.
    Feel free to surf my web-site :: http://www.tyrma.net/wiki/index.php?title=User:Pedro93N

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.