May 25, 2012

Slated (Slated #1) by Teri Terry



Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?







Slated by Teri Terry
Published May 3rd 2012 by Orchard Books 


"Never forget  who you are."
Wow. I just LOVED this book. Definitely one of my favorite reads this year. I was intrigued with the premise of the novel. The author weaves a twisting tale with an in-depth plot. In a not so distant future -set in England-  a new law is made, kids under 16 years of age, those who were criminals are sentenced to Slating- "wiping memories and personalities- so they could start over again.".  However, the Slateds wears Levo (reads their emotion level thing) on their wrists and any traces of violence, it will drop and their body will shut down, dead. But Kyla is different from the other Slateds. And there's more than meet the eyes.

Slateds gets a second chance. Or do they?

Slated is brilliantly written. I was moved by the vivid world Teri built, it's both amazing and terrifying. It's realistic and thought-provoking. While I read this book I kept imagining myself living in this kind of world. How does it feel to have your memories taken away? Us naturals and with Slateds, together. Living in a perfect harmony. But no, there is more beyond this Slating. Dark mysteries were revealed bit by bit through out the story without killing the suspense, made me unable to put this book down.  I was eager to find out what was Kyla's  life before Slating. What crime did she commit?  Who can she trust? And who is lying?
I don’t mention the foot that tripped me, or the
laughter that followed when I hauled myself up. Or
how I’d turned and was ready to smash that girl in the
face. And she knew it, too: a look of uncertain fear
crossed her eyes before Ben pulled me away.
 You go girl!

Characters are all well-developed and believable. Kyla is such a great protagonist, she grew on me. I loved her, I loved how curious and strong she could be. And like I've said, she is different which totally made her such an enthralling character. And the rest of the supporting characters were just as realistic. The Lorders(like guards) were freaking scary. And you know that feeling when you don't want to trust this someone yet? I was like that for Kyla, was scared for her to trust people because I cared for her that much. And there is also romance here, ofcourse. Where's the fun in that? But this is not a fluffy romance at all. Which I always find really refreshing once in a while. Just the right amount of romance and humor.
 ‘Maybe she tortured little children ‘cos they were
the only ones smaller than her.’
‘Maybe she set fire to her house and roasted her
parents alive. Sort of a mum and dad barbecue. Bet
they screamed.’
I spin around.
‘Maybe I slit someone’s throat with a palette knife.’
I balance it on one hand as if checking the weight.
*Snorts*

One of the awesome parts were the the shocking twists and jittery suspense! My mind was racing fast. I was like, Holy eff! What can I say? I mean loved loved loved this book. There's more questions that needs answer and loose ends to be tied though. I cant wait for the second book already, I'd kill for a copy!

Riveting, gritty, clever, character and plot driven story. Sci-fi dystopian fans will definitely enjoy this book.

‘I’m sorry. I won’t do it again, I won’t. I promise!’
‘Enough of your promises. You can’t be trusted.’
His voice is full of regret; sadness, even.
‘Give me your left hand,’ he says, and when I don’t, he
grabs it.
‘You have to learn. I’m sorry.’
And I almost believe he means it, as he smashes my
fingers, one by one, with a brick.
‘No. If the past is unbearable, why choose to bear it?’
I shrug. Because it is mine.
All we can do is live our lives as they are
now; be who we are, now.’

16 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for characters with lost memories. Makes me wanna dive deeper into the story to know who really that person is. Another moving review, lady. Damn. Persuasive as ever. : P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey, another Slated lover! I can't wait to get the next book. :D

    ComaCalm's Corner =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds SO good! I always chuckle at the author's name! I mean, how cool!! haha. This is definitely right up my alley though with suspense, unpredictable twists and a great heroine! I think I'll be ordering this today actually before I forget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, glad you enjoyed it so much, too. I was really positively surprised by SLATED and can't wait for the second book!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sooo happy that you enjoyed this! I agree with you - this is a very, very good book. I loved every page. I loved the characters. I loved the plot. I even loved the cover! <3 Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds awesome! I haven't heard of it before but I will be adding it to my tbr pile!

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAAAAAH! OK, I've been DYING to read Slated like I can't even say, and to add insult to injury, I have it sitting right here, I just haven't had time yet. I've NEVER wanted to read it as much as right now. Yours excerpts were HILARIOUS AND AWESOME.

    AMAZING review! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, glad you loved this book so much. It sounds wonderful, I'm adding it to my wishlist! I like Sci-fi and dystopia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this! it sounds so good! i'm definitely reading this one soon...after i finish like 3 stacks of books...

    Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely interested in reading this one! The concept kind of reminds me of Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. The whole idea of messing with people's memories and emotions to "rehab" them is intriguing...and terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Slated sounds like a great read!!!!! I thought it wouldn't fit my taste but boy was I wrong!!!!!! I NEED to pick up a copy...the concept sounds so awesome!!!! And BTW love all the teasers you included ;-)

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  12. You choose some great quotes there! They really makes me want to read this book even MORE than before :D The whole concept is fascinating. Losing your memory, starting all over.. It sounds like a great solution if you think fast, but it is also a horrible decision to make. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this book. I'm going to read it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished this last week and enjoyed it so much! I'm so glad you did, too, Lalaine. I agree with you about Kyla, she is feisty and smart and I liked her a lot.
    I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want this book so badly, you don't even understand! And oh my gosh, your review just makes me want to read it even more! I met Kyla through some chapter excerpts that one of my fave bloggers posted, and I met her again through your awesome description of her, and I really want to meet her on my own so I can love her too! :') I want to know what crime she commited!

    Amazing review, Lalaine! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as everyone else seems to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This one sounds super good o: I know I've seen it around, but I don't recall actually looking it up and I have absolutely NO idea why. ;o I need to read it! I love those quotes too and I'm so glad you lovd it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to add this to my TBR NOW! ;) It looks so good and you're review convinced me to add it! I love that Kyla is a really strong character! And how great the premise sounds! Great review!

    Thanks for commenting on my Gush and Gripe post! :)

    Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.