May 3, 2012

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle


In this intensely romantic, modern recounting of the greatest love story ever told, Romeo’s original intended—Juliet’s cousin Rosaline—tells her side of the tale. What’s in a name, Shakespeare? I’ll tell you: Everything.     Rosaline knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. Rose has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect. But then Juliet moves back to town. Juliet, who used to be Rose’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy...and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance.     Rose is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rose starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends….

 Goodreads
 Published May 1st 2012 by Simon Pulse

 “Sometimes,” he starts, “the hardest part about letting someone go is realizing you were never meant to have them.”
A very interesting and affecting novel, based on an old story but with modernized characters and settings. A retelling of Romeo and Juliet. I have never read the original book but I have of course watched some of the adaptations(movies & plays). And whenever I hear the names Romeo and Juliet, it automatically follows a starcrossed lovers and death. Then Rosaline came into the scene, she was "the girl" before Juliet. And to tell you the truth this is something new to me. So yeah, interesting, classic and I was so curious to know what was in store for me.

I really did enjoy this book, however I have mixed feelings towards it. The first half was slow, the narrator has to tell every single details about her friends and about things that I am not really interested to know. Rose- the protag- didnt connect to me at all on the first half, I have a love and hate relationship with Rosaline. The first pages felt like it dragged on forever. I wanted action, I wanted a scene, the love story, the drama. Not the story of her friends life, their boyfriends and what not. I wanted Rosaline, Romeo and Juliet. But then after those few page-skipping, enter Len-the other guy- I was hooked. Suddenly everything was new and exciting. It made this read worth while. I loved the attraction between the two, Len and Rosaline. Their romance is emitting with intensity that it made me hard to put down, romantic indeed. Len is such a very intriguing character, I loved how the author didnt start describing how hot he is but how strange he is which is kind of refreshing for me, you know what im talking about right? You know when this "oh-he-is-so-hot-I-love-him-already" kind of thing. His simply adorable. I mean you'll fall for him easily. aah and he plays piano, and he is a brainy..

 Len lifts his fingers off the keys, slowly, and returns them to his lap. Then he looks at me, and it’s kind of like I’ve never seen him before. Because this person next to me isn’t the guy from school who gives teachers lip. He’s not sarcastic, but funny; and he’s not rude, but witty; and his hair isn’t messy, it’s, well, kind of sexy.

 Hell ya!

I also found Rosaline a complicated character, I guess in real life Id say that things happens, so cant blame her. The plot is pretty much the Romeo and Juliet love story I guess, just in a different point of view which is intriguing enough for me. Ending was bittersweet, I thought it was good.

While I thought some details were seemed superfluous, it was a quick and enjoyable love story. It felt contemporary yet so old at the same time.. I am so glad I kept reading, and I am sure you will too once you started it.

Lines I loved
You stumble and you fall, sure. But now you pick yourself back up. You do that now. You’ve been doing that. And sometimes you pick me up too.”
“Look,” Len says, “maybe you should go.” He offers the suggestion casually, like he’s asking Rob if he wants a soda.
“This is life,” he says. “We have to take it as it comes, because even though some things are really shitty, there’s a lot of reall ygreat stuff too.”

13 comments:

  1. I-I can't read ziss yet... I hazz to get out! *flees* Oh and by the way, piano guys are hawtness personified. That is all. : P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! so many fantastic, meaningful quotes! i absolutely love them!
    sounds like a good book after the bland begining!
    Wonderful review! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, it sounds so beautiful! I absolutely loved your review and those little teasers you inserted here and there? Wow. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if it had a slow start, this sounds very good. I love that first quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! I loved that you included quotes from the book in your post..they are perfect!! I will have to check this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the quotes you included in your post. They really makes me want to read the book, so you did a great job in picking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved this book
    i loved how different kind of male len was
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quotes! This looks like a great book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I really enjoyed this book despite a couple of characters that annoyed me - especially Juliet. But Len . . . loved him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you loved it! It sounds reeeeal good. o: But it sucks that it was a bit too detailed... I definitely dislike that myself. I've heard some great things about it though, so I'm more than curious! If I find myself in a romantic mood, I'll probably end up picking this one up! Great review!

    (Also, I totally love your new design:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What? This is a retelling of Romeo and JUliet? Wow I did not know this. I never read the original either but I love the story. I also love action and fast pace so I'd probably feel the same way about this one. Lovely review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I had NO IDEA that this was a re-telling of Romeo and Juliet, and I had not idea that it focuses on Rosaline either -- that's so awesome! As probably the biggest Shakespeare-loving teenager in my grade, I've always wondered what happens to Rosaline so I'm really intrigued about this one!

    JUST ADDED THIS TO MY TBR PILE! Amazing review, Lalaine -- thanks so much for putting this on my radar! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you NAIlED it, Lalaine! The beginning IS slow, and there is totally this info dumping as Rose tells you EVERY random detail about her friends we don't need to know, but I ended up falling SO in love. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.