June 3, 2012

The Hunt (The Hunt #1) by Andrew Fukuda



Synopsis from Goodreads:


Against all odds, 17-year-old Gene has survived in a world where humans have been eaten to near extinction by the general population. The only remaining humans, or hepers as they are known, are housed in domes on the savannah and studied at the nearby Heper Institute. Every decade there is a government sponsored hunt. When Gene is selected to be one of the combatants he must learn the art of the hunt but also elude his fellow competitors whose suspicions about his true nature are growing.


The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
Published May 10th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Australia



Never forget who you are.
I have to admit, though there are some plot holes in this novel, I really enjoyed this book in general. A different and unique twist in vampires stories we read over the years, the author somehow managed to keep me gripped into the story and very entertained with the narrator. OK so first thing that drew me in was the cover, first I did view this cover in a larger one and I was creeped out with those guys at the back. And well, the main guy in the cover looks hot so I read the synops and its post-apocalyptic novel,with a human-eating people so I thought well count me in, im reading this!

So it turned out that this human-eating people are vampires, atleast thats what Ive understood from reading this book. And the hepers- which I always read as herpes(dont know why) are humans. The world-building is quite marvelous. How did our world turned out to be so doomed like this? Not much of humans are left, and if you are a human you dont stand a chance to survive around these viscous monsters. Thats when the plot holes enters. You see, Gene have lived with the vampires pretending to be like them, complete with fake fangs and hair shaving all over, he somehow survived from getting busted. I find it very hard not to sweat. I sweat, a lot and I am a girl, how much more for a guy? You can never sweat or show any emotion infront of these vampires otherwise youll be a snack. Its just surreal, and I find it stupid for the vampires to not detect where the human scents are coming from, I just did a lot of eye rolling in here.

BUT, this was a very intense read for me. I mean I get nervous when Gene is in a very close-call situations. The fast paced, gory scenes, full packed actions are quite fascinating. The Hunt has a sinister feel but because its a first-person narrative, reading his POV  is just very amusing, he had me snorting sometimes. He is the main reason why I fully enjoyed this book. Set aside the flaws, and welcome the dangers he will face and the sacrifice he will make, I think this has a potential of a good series..The romance of Gene and Ashley June came out later in the story.

The ending was a an awesome cliffhanger for me, that it added spark to my curiosity for the second book. In two words, cannot wait!

Overall, I enjoyed this book, its not one of my great reads but it surely was worth my time.

10 comments:

  1. Great to see you enjoyed it! People seem to be loving or hating this book without much inbetween. Personally, I loved it, I started it knowing it was silly and expecting silliness and I wasn't disappointed!

    ComaCalm's Corner =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was incredibly surreal and I couldn't get passed all the questions in this book. You enjoyed it more than me for sure but if there was better word building it would have made a world of difference. The plot itself was pretty intriguing. Great review chicky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review totally made me more excited to read this book! Will have to pick up my ARC soon and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book!!! Like, SO MUCH. There was just something about it that made it so creepy and so intriguing, and that cliff-hanger is TO DIE FOR! So intense. Great review!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized there are guys in the background of the cover, since you pointed it out. Did NOT notice that. LOL I think the cover guy looks a bit like Chris Hemsworth...*shrug* haha

    Sounds like an intense read. I gues it's a suspend disbelief type of story in some ways, which is cool. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why have I just heard about this book now!? It sounds awesome and I will def be checking out :)

    Great review Lalaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the second VERY positive review of this book I've read in as many days. I'm very curious about it now, even though I initially didn't want to read it at all.
    Great review as usual, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard mixed reviews about this book, about people loving it, hating it and everything in between, but I loved your review. It just made me want to read it despite the fact that you mentioned the certain plot holes. I'm not big on that stuff, but I rarely pick up any vampire novels because I'm just not that interested. Your review has definitely convinced me to give The Hunt a try :) I do admit that I love this cover much more than the US cover. The US cover is just BLAH. I see the appeal of that hot guy and the creepy people in the background. It just catches the eye for sure! Thanks so much for this awesome review <3

    Jessirae @ Words, Pages, and Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the next one, the cliffhanger is just plain AWFUL! You are right, Gene was really funny and I found myself laughing out loud sometimes (and yes, people thought I was crazy!). Even though I'm a romance addicted I loved the fact that this novel still captivated me without much of a romance. And like you I was kind of nervous throughout the book, Fukuda really gives us some close calls.

    Amazing review! Agree with you on everything :)

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  10. SERIOUSLY. The guy on the front cover looks SO much like Chris Hemsworth... no?

    EEEEEEEEE! Lalaine! I'm so glad you liked this! Seriously, I agree: I don't think this was a perfect book by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was brilliant. The creepy, and the world bulding! You've NAILED it in your review! ♥

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.