July 13, 2012

Enclave (Razorland series #1) by Ann Aguirre



WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.

As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.
Enclave by Ann Aguirre
Series: Razorland #1

Published April 12th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends

 The strong survive
Don't know why it took me forever to finally read this book when it was soooo good. Such a great start for a new series. Enclave felt like a story I've read so many times already, familiar, but oddly refreshing. First of all, you can never go wrong with a bad-ass heroine, this makes the story extremely interesting. Next, Enclave is a very engaging post-apocalyptic novel, the world has been wiped out by Freaks aka Zombies and with not much humans left, and with Freaks roaming around people were forced to create a settlement in tunnels. In enclave people were categorized, such as Breeders(yeah, you know what it is lol)  Wielders, Huntress and Hunters - brings home food for the people and fights off the Freaks who gets close the enclave, etc, etc. So Deuce, our heroine is a Huntress and have believed that the elders knows best, they think that what their people dont know wont hurt them... Then Deuce was paired up with a mysterious Hunter named Fade, and from there the story truly begins and things get a little intense...

I really really loved Deuce. Her flawed yet so perfect character fascinates me alot and she had me snorting too. And Fade, my Fade, he was so dang hot! I just swoon when he is around Deuce. The romance between them is very well-developed. Since the first half part of the book's setting was underground, it was a bit slow for me,but once Fade walks in the scene and the setting is out of the tunnels, it was a full-on action and dangers faced has kept me on the edge of my seat. Plot has some surprising and touching twists. Nuff said! I just can't wait for the second book, I want to know more of these two and the world that the author built. While the ending wasn't a big cliffhanger, I felt hope and excitement surge within my chest, It was pretty good, it left me wanting more and I am dying for the second book!

"The world is like Whitewall's razors," I burst out.
"It cuts us, and we bleed but there's no purpose to it."

While there are some slow parts, I was surprised how good this book was in general, definitely a character-driven survival story, just my cup of tea. Reading this kind of book makes me all ready comes the apocalypse(who knows), bring it on!
Well if you decided to read this, I wab yow <3 and enjoy! X

Updates: I heard that the second book has a "Sequel book syndrome", well whatever that is, it sounds ugly. I really do hope OUTPOST will live up to my expectation with this series. *bites nails*


"I never belonged anywhere until I met you," he said, resting his cheek against my hair.


But you're not a a Huntress. You're just a girl with six scars.

Book 2 is out September 2012

11 comments:

  1. Fab review! I was so surprised by this book because I LOVED IT so much! I hope the sequel lives up to my very high expectations . . . I really hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEEE Lalaine! I've heard great things about Enclave and now I really really want to read it after reading your review! And the quotes you put on your review completely convinced me I need to read this book ASAP!

    Awesome review, Lalaine! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it :)

    PS: I hope the sequel lives up to your expectations ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, fantastic! I love Ann and her books so much, it makes me so happy when someone else enjoys them too. Hopefully Outpost will be just as good. In fact, I know it will.
    Wonderful review as usual, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first review I've read for Enclave and OH. MY. WORD.
    LALAINE. IT SOUNDS EFFING AMAZING. I'd never have given this a second glance before your review... but... uh... now? WANT WANT WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy that you enjoyed it! I borrowed a copy of this but I still haven't read it! Now...I'm even more excited for this. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you when you said that, "the romance...is very well-developed." It's extremely well-written, and I could clearly see how their friendship evolved into hints of a romance. I'm eager to see how their relationship will further develop in the next novel. I wasn't expecting that good of a book when I first started reading this novel, but I ended up enjoying it more than I ever thought I would. It's a solid debut, and I'm glad to see you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your review makes me want to go back and read this book over again, just so I can see everything much better through your eyes! I had some problems with the slow parts too as well as the fact that there was really no climax or oh-my-goodness moment in the book, but you're totally right that this book is extremely well-written! :)

    Amazing review, Lalaine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this one! I've been teased by this one a lot, but for some reason I'm kind of scared to pick it up o: I don't know why, but at least it decreased a little after reading this review! Although second book syndrome sounds kind of bad, for sure...

    Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review!! I haven't heard of this one before but I think I need to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. After seeing some negative reviews, I decided that I wasn't going to read this book.. but now, you sure make me doubt my decision! It actually sounds very good. A flawed main character, a love able love interest and the nice quotes you've posted.. I'm going to reconsider this one, so thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GReat review sounds like you really enjoyed it!
    new follower!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.