July 29, 2012

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan



Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Lynburn Legacy #1
Expected publication: September 11th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers

“This,” he whispered back. “Nothing else ever mattered
to me, and you weren’t even real. All I ever wanted was you.”
Unspoken is an eerie but haunting paranormal romance story, though this book felt like I've already read before, and yes yes indeed, my favorite Beautiful Creatures. But before anything else, let me tell you first that I enjoyed this book just fine. The fact that the protagonist cracked me up so much was very much appreciated. She's inquisitive, veracious and most importantly, a witty character that I totally fell in love with her.

I'm not saying that having similarities with Beautiful Creatures is a bad thing, I didnt mind it at all though some would definitely feel irritated about this if you've read BC already. In short, this is a love or hate kind of book. Atleast, that what I think.  But like I've said, I totally enjoyed Kami's voice, and the author's straightforward writing. Sara Rees Brennan really did a good job in creating sensational characters. I was captivated by the uncanny yet very romantic and addicting  psychic connection between Kami and Jared. Their romance together is emotionally moving. God, Jared Lynburn turns me on in so many ways. I love the foreboding feel in his character and how protective he is with Kami. I freaking love him, strange yes but I do! I just have a thing for a badboy type of guy. It's very sexy. Oh wait! There is also Ash Lynburn, total opposite of Jared but is also radiating with sexyness! The Lynburns are hot! These two are funny when they bicker with each other. Oh man, I had to snort and grin most of the time.

"So he's not crazy?"
"I didnt say that, Holly said. "My current verdict would be: Crazy eyes, nice ass."
"I think I want that on my tombstone," Kami said.

The setting is in town called Sorry-in-the-Vale is a very interesting place to be, not only the town has a strange name but also the places in it, like Sorriest River, Crying Pools Depressed Quarry and Street of Certain Doom are quite amusing don't you think? But strange things happens here, strange things like dirty secrets, mysterious killings, strange creatures, witchcraft and magic. But not as strange as Kami Glass having someone in her head talking to her. Eversince she was young, "that" voice has always been there. People thought she was weird that she has her imaginary friend, Jared Lynburn. But time will come and their paths will cross... Kami together with her friends will discover the truth behind these town's darkest secret and magic..
 "The Lynburns built this town on their blood and bones."
Beautiful Creatures: Ethan and Lena can talk through their minds too, a small town full of secrets, and witchcraft. The storyline maybe familiar but the author has a unique voice that can captivate her readers. It's also in a series and I cant wait to read the sequel OMG!  I want more of Jared and Kami. The ending crushed my heart that is why I am so much looking forward for the second book, I need Sarah to fix my heart. If you are a fan of witches and wizards and dark magic then you might wanna try Unspoken. You'll be the judge nevertheless happy reading to you all!

“What would you do,” Kami found herself asking, “if I
said I wanted to take off my shirt right now?”
She had to give Ash credit: he barely checked his stride,
though his eyebrows went up.
“Give me a minute and I’ll empty the hall?”
Kami forgave her mouth for saying terrible things without
her permission, and smiled. “Good answer.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It’s all right,” Jared said. His voice was still hushed, but
it was very clear. “Everything’s all right now. This was all I
wanted.”
“What?” Kami whispered.
His chest was shuddering with his fast, shallow breaths.
He did not lift his head, dark gold against the pallor of her
pillow. She did not think he was able to. He just lay there, the
moonlight making his eyes opaque silver mirrors.
“This,” he whispered back. “Nothing else ever mattered
to me, and you weren’t even real. All I ever wanted was you.”

8 comments:

  1. Unspoken sounds good, but the similiarties to Beautiful Creatures might annoy me. Speaking of Beautiful Creatures, I do need to read that one day. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I know that it sometimes is sooo annoying to find close similarities, but I think that this time around, it might work. I didn't like Beautiful Creatures much because I felt it spent too much time in building an atmosphere I didn't care much for (nothing against the South, I promise, it just didn't work that great for me)and so it read a bit slow... But it feels like this time, that wouldn't be an issue! Sorriest River, Crying Pools... I imagine reading about that must be fun!

    I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this book. Thanks for sharing, Lalaine! It's great to read you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Whistle* Jared and Ash! I'm melting just by the sound of them! Now i'm more eager for this to come out! Awesome review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, I like the Beautiful Creatures connection, given the characters name is 'Kami'.. oh, but Lalaine, seriously, you coudln't have found a better way to sell this to me. I freaking ADORE Beautiful Creatures, and the connections? Like that eerie, gothic vibe? I'm SOLD.

    I'm seriously scared about the state of my heart, though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you said in your review, this really does sound like a, "love or hate kind of book." Though the synopsis didn't draw me in and I was not a fan of Beautiful Creatures, after reading this review I may read this book! The setting and the landmarks seems to emit an aura of creepiness and the characters sound enticing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh thank goodness I haven't read Beautiful Creatures yet because the similarities would bother me, I think. I don't know why but Beautiful Creatures never appealed to me but I jus't CAN'T wait to get my hands on Unspoken. From your review I think this book is one I would totally love. Dark humor and sexyness, what do I need more?

    Great review!
    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really need to read this book--I am convinced I will love it. Awesome review! It makes me want to bump it up my list for sure.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh this sounds really good, except for the fact that it might be similar to beautiful creatures. I'm really not a fan of that story. However great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.