August 18, 2012

Shadow And Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Alina Starkov doesn’t expect much from life. Orphaned by the Border Wars, the one thing she could rely on was her best friend and fellow refugee, Mal. And lately not even that seems certain. Drafted into the army of their war-torn homeland, they’re sent on a dangerous mission into the Fold, a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh.

When their convoy is attacked, all seems lost until Alina reveals a dormant power that not even she knew existed. Ripped from everything she knows, she is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. He believes she is the answer the people have been waiting for: the one person with the power to destroy the Fold.

Swept up in a world of luxury and illusion, envied as the Darkling’s favorite, Alina struggles to fit into her new life without Mal by her side. But as the threat to the kingdom mounts, Alina uncovers a secret that sets her on a collision course with the most powerful forces in the kingdom. Now only her past can save her . . . and only she can save the future.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Series: The Grisha Trilogy #1
Published June 5th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co.

 "It's always just you and me Alina."
Wow. I wasnt really expecting to like this book but wow, I was blown away! This *spreads hands* this is why I love blogging, because of this kind of book. A book that tugs my heart string. I loved it! Such a fantastic start for a series, definitely worth reading or rather a book you can fall in love with. Despite the overwhelming "terms" (you'll know what I mean when you read it) I did not dare pronounce out loud, everything is just so so good. 

Once I started reading Shadow and Bone, it just keeps getting better and better. I was intrigued with the world Leigh Bardugo has created. Two nations are divided by the Shadow Fold or also called as "the unsea" where volcra lurks, these horrible creatures can smell human blood from miles away. A place ruled by a king and a queen, then there is also a Grisha, elite people with special talents who serves them. Thats when the Darkling enters. He is beautiful but mysterious. He leads the Grisha. And yeah he broke my heart. Why? Well you've got to read it for real! This book has a unique plot with some gripping twists and turns. Leigh has done a great job with the characters too, Alina and Mal for example. These two are soooo good together. Alina is a flawed but has a kind heart and reading her POV is soo fun and hilarious while Mal is.. OMG! He is just so brave and loveable. He's always there for Alina and he makes me swoon. That is all.

My favorite lines *cries*:
His breathing was labored. “They’re coming,” he gasped.
I looked up and saw, in the feeble, fading glow of Grisha fire, two volcra swooping down upon us.
I huddled over Mal, shielding his body with mine. I knew it was futile, but it was all I could offer. I smelled the fetid stench of the volcra, felt the air gusting from their wings. I pressed my forehead to Mal’s and heard him whisper, “I’ll meet you in the meadow.”
Is it bittersweet or what? 

Another heartwarming, and an utterly engrossing story about ancient magic, politics, power, greed, deception, friendship and love. You dont know how much I loved loved this book. Ending was just what I wanted, it isnt a cliffhanger, but definitely a good one. Leigh Bardugo is amazing! One of my favorite fantasy book this year 2012! I cant wait for the sequel OMG!

Lying in the dark, waiting for sleep, I wondered if those paths would just keep taking us further and further apart, and if a day might come when we would be strangers to each other once again.
 ~~~
It’s probably for the best, I told myself. How would I have said goodbye to Mal anyway? Thanks for being my best friend and making my life bearable. Oh, and sorry I fell in love with you for a while there. Make sure to write!
~~~
As long as I kept my mouth shut, the kiss was a secret that the Darkling and I shared, and I wanted it to stay that way. All the same, some days it took everything in me not to stand up in the middle of breakfast and shout, “The Darkling kissed me!”
~~~
“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I’d catch myself walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I’d seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I’d realize that you weren’t there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I’ve risked my life for you. I’ve walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I’d do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don’t tell me we don’t belong together,” he said fiercely. He was very close now, and my heart was suddenly hammering in my chest. “I’m sorry it took me so long to see you, Alina. But I see you now.”

22 comments:

  1. Great review! i wanna read this book so i can fan girl with you! lol. you have an awesome blog and thanks so for stopping by mine and checking it out.

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa tgis book sounds simply amazing, and I can't wait to read it myself. I will pick it up sometime soon forsure. Thanks for tha amazing review!

    xMar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you when it comes to the sequel . . . we need it NOW! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome quotes <3 I have this book waiting for me and now I definitely can't wait to get started. I haven't found one negative review about this book. And you are right, this is why I love blogging so much. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't read this just yet as I am reading the book now, about 125 pages in. I did a skim as I couldn't help but peek:D I shall come back and read later. I can see you loved it!

    yay!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. and I hope you enjoy it too when you finally read this book. x

      Delete
  6. EEEEEEEEE Lalaine! I LOVE LOVE LOVE SHADOW AND BONE or The Gathering Dark! I just....it made me speechless. Definitely one of the best debut I've read so far! The world, Alina, Darkling and Mal were FANTASTIC. Hahahaha, I'm sorry Darkling broke your heart, Lalaine but I am completely in love with him, even until the end of the book! Mal's AMAZING but I think I'm Team Darkling ;) But YES! I really really can't wait for the sequel! I'm just dying to see where Leigh is going to take us in the sequel! (I hope Darkling appears again btw ;)

    Awesome review, Lalaine! ♥ SO glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im so excited as you are to get my hands on the sequel! omg! I did love Darkling but Im going to give him a second chance but for now Mal has my heart. :)))
      thanks Celine.

      Delete
  7. Woot! Everyone is gushing about this book! Me wants to join in (need to grab a copy asap.) I love the way you review this. And the quotes drove me mad with longing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha thanks Precious. It is really a great read. x

      Delete
  8. I guess I'm like you in that, no matter how many fantastic reviews I read, I still don't think I'm going to like this book. However, it seems to have all the qualities I usually appreciate and Mal, more than Alina, sounds like someone I truly need to meet.
    Wonderful review, Lalaine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! but I have to find it out for myself first.. and its official! :) thanks Maja.x

      Delete
  9. Fantastic review! I am glad that you enjoyed this book. I absolutely loved this book and it's always great to see reviews from other lovers of this book too! I can't wait until the next one is released! Thanks for sharing, Lalaine!

    Steph @ SteppingOutOfThePage.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. reading this now. gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review!! I wasn't sure if I should pick this book up but now I will have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. L A L A I N E.
    OMFG.
    SOUNDS AMAZING.

    I am SOOO excited to read this one - I've had my copy sitting at home for a month now, and my fingers are ITCHING to get at it, doubly so after your review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE those quotes! And SO happy you loved this too wasn't it so gorgeous!? Everything was just amazingly vivid and imaginative. The Shadow Fold was super creepy and I loved the Darkling!! GREAT review, Lalaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have had this book on my shelf forever. I have no clue why I haven't read it yet. I have only read praise on it. Love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is at the top of my TBR pile! I thought that the book description was good, not amazing, but after reading your review I'm so much more excited for this book!

    Brilliant review :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother in law said this book didn't have substance but your review makes it sound otherwise. OK - now I'm interested again lol
    I also heard about the love triangle and that's my reading kryptonite these days but I know you hate them too so if you're ok with it I should be.

    Zaira Lynn (Ptarmigan in Alaska)

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.