October 28, 2012

The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle



Katie is on the verge of her Rumspringa, the time in Amish life when teenagers can get a taste of the real world. But the real world comes to her in this dystopian tale with a philosophical bent. Rumors of massive unrest on the “Outside” abound. Something murderous is out there. Amish elders make a rule: No one goes outside, and no outsiders come in. But when Katie finds a gravely injured young man, she can’t leave him to die. She smuggles him into her family’s barn—at what cost to her community? The suspense of this vividly told, truly horrific thriller will keep the pages turning








Published September 25th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt


I was a hypocrite. When the roof came down, it was going to fall on me first.
Man, I am just a sucker for a great heroine. And seriously, Amish and the freaking scary vampires? A premise I just couldn't pass up. I've been quietly anticipating this book for what seemed like forever and I am so glad it did not disappoint, as a matter of fact, it has taken me completely by surprise. It's that good!

My favorite quote:
“You have done well, Katie,” Frau Gerlach said. “You would make a fine midwife someday, if you ever wished to learn.”
I cast my eyes down, exhausted and shy and afraid and proud all at once. “All I have managed so far is to be a midwife to the puppies.”
She reached out to pat my cheek with a bloody hand. “God smiles on those who quietly do his dirty work, my girl.”
This book has "Amish" written all over it. Some of you might be wary reading this book because religion and beliefs are just a tricky topic, not everyone enjoys this. But if you are open to things like this and you want a book to surprise you. and brave it then you will surely surely enjoy this book. I myself don't know much about Amish, I'm a little foreign about it, but it was so nice to explore their world through this book and our protagonist entertained me so much. She rocks. I mean she just kicked Elijah's butt, no problem. *chuckles*

Like I said, this book will hook you with an amazing premise and well-defined characters, I could picture them up easily. The Hallowed ones is a delightfully bone-chilling story that will surely keep you on the edge of your seat and turn all the lights on. An outbreak is spreading fast outside and the infected becomes vampires. The sacred places are only the safest place in the world, and that includes Katie's place with her people. But to keep them safe, there is a rule: No one goes out of the gate, and no one must invite them in.

But there are vampires among the Amish....

Something made a scraping sound above me.
Swallowing hard, I looked up.
Behind the fluorescent light, I could make out shadows. I shaded my eyes from the weak light with my hand. I was able to distinguish shapes—shapes of people. They were suspended upside down from the ceiling, curled up in balls or dangling with limbs dragging in spider webs of silk that drizzled down in the darkness, holding the forms there in an ethereal embrace.

I have to stop here and see for yourself how good this book is. I loved Katie, I loved reading her POV, she isn't your typical Amish girl though, she's flawed, she has a rebellious spirit, she questions before she obeys. The other side of her is struggling between submitting and defying rules.. She may not be doing the Buffy-vampire-slaying thing but she's definitely a clever, undaunted and a kindhearted girl that she grew on me. The rest of the supporting characters were just believable. God, I hate Elijah, that freaking asshole! Oh, yeah, there's romance here too by the way, and it was just enough without overpowering the greatness of the story. The ending was really good, open ended, so you can just decide where the story should go, sky is the limit. Though I kind of wish that it has a sequel, on the other hand sometimes a good book like this should just be left alone as it is.

For me, that was love. Tangible. Love was what was in front of me, not a distant fantasy.

I recommend this book to those who want something refreshing, riveting, diverting and challenging. I loved it and hope you will too! x

I think I’d rather be branded than submit to some of the things that you have to.” He said this without spite, just a soft statement of fact. “I’m not strong enough to do that.”

‘The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.’”

There was a difference, I had decided, between knowing and believing. And I wanted both.

I wanted the syrupy taste of this small rebellion. And this stupid machine was denying that bit of freedom to me . . . just like everyone else.
“That’s just . . . the first time I’ve heard a man say he loved a woman for her brilliance.” I was used to hearing about men who loved women for their eyes, for their smiles, for their ability to work hard, for their gentleness and kindness. Not for their brilliance.
“Yeah, well. Women are different out there.” He let out a snort of derisive laughter.
“I don’t mean to sound insensitive about your dating life.” I lifted my chin in defiance. “But I want to know more about ‘out there.’ Why, with all those brilliant people, is there no more ‘out there’?”
He flinched. I felt a momentary sting of satisfaction at taking him down a peg. We Amish did not suffer pride well.

8 comments:

  1. I've heard so many great things about this one! I was put off by the religion aspect at first, but now I'm thoroughly convinced to read this book, and soonish. Great review and great quotes, Lalaine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been reading a lot of great things about this book and now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW You seriously loved this! Oohh AMISH AND VAMPS? MEEEEE LIKEYYYYY! This sounds like the perfect Halloween read :) Great review Lalaine! Glad you enjoyed it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not complete into the Amish, but the whole idea of combining them with vampires is genious. Katie sound awesome and judging from the quotes you picked, I'm totally going to love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finishes it yesterday I also really enjoyed it, I hope we'll have another one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I've heard so many amazing things about this! <3 I'm glad you loved it Lalaine! Need to add this to my wishlist before I forget.

    Precious
    Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you enjoyed this! To be honest, the Amish part of the book DID make me hesitant to read this, but after reading your review, I'm actually excited to get my hands on it. Katie sounds awesome, and the storyline is really original!

    Great review, Lalaine!

    Meg @ Ink Skies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know this one is a good read. I've been seeing it around and wondering about it. I think the premise sounds really interesting and your excitement about it is making me want to go pick it up. Adding it to the TBR. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.