November 3, 2012

Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson


Nothing ever happens in Norway. But at least Ellie knows what to expect when she visits her grandmother: a tranquil fishing village and long, slow summer days. And maybe she’ll finally get out from under the shadow of her way-too-perfect big brother, Graham, while she’s there.

What Ellie doesn’t anticipate is Graham’s infuriating best friend, Tuck, tagging along for the trip. Nor did she imagine boys going missing amid rumors of impossible kidnappings. Least of all does she expect something powerful and ancient to awaken in her and that strange whispers would urge Ellie to claim her place among mythological warriors. Instead of peace and quiet, there’s suddenly a lot for a girl from L.A. to handle on a summer sojourn in Norway! And when Graham vanishes, it’s up to Ellie—and the ever-sarcastic, if undeniably alluring Tuck—to uncover the truth about all the disappearances and thwart the nefarious plan behind them.

Deadly legends, hidden identities, and tentative romance swirl together in one girl’s unexpectedly-epic coming of age.



 Published October 9th 2012 by HarperTeen

This book started really good, I mean really good. Valkyrie rising is written in first-person, Ellie, our heroine, was likeable. Surprisingly, that impression didn't last long, I'm afraid. Loved the first few chapters, but as the story progress, oh well. I thought it would have been really good had it changed its course. Let me explain. Ellie is a Valkyrie, it's in her blood. But she didn't have any idea or whatsoever about this, until she went to Norway with her big brother and his best friend Tucker Halloway to visit her grandmother who is a Valkyrie herself. That's when things went meh for me. The abrupt turns of the story didn't work out for me. Her attitude towards a decent boy she met. Or this situation where one minute her grandmother were hiding stuff from her, the next thing, she was telling Ellie to kick some asses because Ellie apparently has a power within her of a true Valkyrie. So not believable. Maybe if the plot were delivered differently, I would have bought it.

OK, it wasn't horrible but just not what I was expecting when I began reading it. It had its moments. Tucker Halloway is the only thing that had me going. Apparently, Ellie is better when Tuck is around. Tuck is the only character I love in this book, he's swoon-worthy I'm telling you. I was also intrigued where their friendship would truly take them, I loved the bickerings and their almost-kissing intimate scenes. But that's all. The idea was really something I would really get excited about, a story inspired by Norse mythology with a modern day and romance twist. But reading a book with a lead character's point of view whom I am starting to dislike the longer I read is not that much fun at all, but I kept going anyway, only for Tuck. To be more honest, I am not that satisfied with the quotes that I have, but these will do. *sighs*


“Without people like me for contrast, no one would recognize how perfect you are.”

Overall, it was an okay read for me, but if ever there is going to be a sequel, I wont be reading it I guess. Anyway, please don't take my words for it. This is merely my thoughts and opinion. You might ended up liking or even loving this book, It's just not my cup of tea. I've actually read some reviews via Goodreads and most readers enjoyed it, especially those who loves myth-based romance stories..


“Danger is hot. A daring rescue is even hotter.”
Only Tuck would turn this into a joke.


It can be hard to find people you can trust, and when you do, you hold on to them, imperfections and all. 

In a small town, newcomers are endlessly fascinating.

5 comments:

  1. Great review, I know how hard it is to write a review of a book you initially liked but then started to dislike, especially disliking the main protagonist. Tucker sounds great but yea, it's hard to read a book just for one swoon worthy character!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww...it's a pity the story went downhill :S It's so disappointing to read books where it starts off amazing, but then gets worse :/ Oohh Tucker sounds awesome!!! I might give this a try one dayy...thanks for the honest review!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice and honest review. There are many mixed reviews for this book lately, but I really hope I enjoyed it more when I come to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouchie. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you... it was one I had an interest in, but the points you raise are bound to drive me up the wall --so I'll probably not be picking this up.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always hate it when I love a book in the beginning, but end up disappointed when I'm done. Ellie sounded like a great character, so I'm sorry to hear that her change was a bad one. Tucker does sound great, but I'm not sure if that's enough for me to pick up this book. Thanks for the honesty!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.