December 13, 2012

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle) by Maggie Stiefvater


 “There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.


 Published September 18th 2012 by Scholastic Press



Blue had two rules: Stay away from boys, because they’re trouble, and stay away from raven boys, because they were bastards.
I don't know with you guys, but I think Maggie Stiefvater is not human. No, I refuse to believe she is. Maybe a freaking faery? This is the second book Ive read by Maggie and her book always gives me cause for melancholy mood and awe-struck impression at the same time. Magical, just magical. I love this book but I find it hard to write a review without giving too much away so I am just going to share what I felt about it.

God, I love these raven boys. These characters are somewhat mysterious and unforgettable. The more I read  the more I starve for them. I just couldn't get enough! I love them all, Noah, Adam, Gansey and Ronan. I love how their relationships between each other were laid open, they care for each other like real brothers do. Blue(girl) is also a likeable character but not as interesting as these boys. Though the blurb above may sound romantic, there is no heavy romance here, atleast not in this book. Hopefully in the sequel!

Maggie tells the story in a  unique, complex, and unpredictable way that I was left guessing at every turns and was dying with anticipation. I was scared with how it's going to end, that I had to put it down several times. Though, this book is superb, I have to admit that there were confusing moments too. The Raven Boys is in multiple third-person narrative, which will work well for many readers, but not for all I guess. Because complexity also has some issues, confusion will definitely arise. But I will not be discouraged! :) I loved how the characters and plot intertwined, but there is still more questions that needed answers. Anyway I hope I made sense up there. lol.

Real family issues, friendship, life and death and magic. An amazing fantasy book! Can't wait for the second book! HAPPY READING <3


Quotes from The Raven Boys:

Blue never grew tired of feeling particularly needed, but sometimes she wishedneeded felt less like a synonym for useful.
 Is this how we make our way to death? Blue wondered. A stumbling fade-out instead of a self-aware finale?
“Don’t try to make this better,” Declan warned. As he pulled Ashley out into the tiny stairwell and down the stairs, Adam heard the beginnings of damage control: He has problems, I told you, I tried to make sure he wouldn’t be here, he’s the one who found Dad, it messed him up, let’s go get seafood instead, don’t you think we look like lobster tonight? We do
Oh no. Not him. All this time she’d been wondering how Gansey might die and it turned out she was going to strangle him. At Nino’s, the blare of the music had drowned out the finer points of his voice and the odor of garlic had overwhelmed the scent of mint.

8 comments:

  1. I love it when you can't get enough from characters! It always gives me the feeling that I've made new friends :p

    The complexity and uniqueness of this story sounds really good. I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing. I've had this one for awhile but haven't had the chance to read it yet! But after your review I might make an exception and read it before the others on my list. Sounds really unique! And I really liked the idea of quoting in the review, gives me a better idea of the writing and style of the novel. Great review!

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Maggie's writing and I've loved pretty much every single book of hers, but unfortunately I didn't like this book all so much . . . which is a pity. Still, she is a brilliant writer! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEE Lalaine! I SO SO SO loved The Raven Boys too! Maggie's writing is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE Gansey. I really can't wait for the next book in the series ;)

    Awesome review, Lalaine ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved those quotes! Thanks for sharing.

    I love Maggie's writing so much. She really is so talented. Glad you enjoyed The Raven Boys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to get this one. I've heard so many great things! I've got to get it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah, it's entirely possible that Maggie comes from a different world altogether. And like you, I was crazy about these characters, they were so amazingly wel-built and complex and of course, I developed a huge crush on Gansey, but who didn't, right?
    Love the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah hah, MAYBE SHE IS A FAERY. That would explain all the maaaagic in her books. :) I'm so glad you liked this! I thought it was gorgeous, too. Can't wait for book two!

    ReplyDelete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.